Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tiger578, Apr 1, 2010.

1. tiger578

tiger578 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So I just noticed this feature with the install of iTunes 9.1. My question is: from my understanding, it leave the original songs intact, so should I check this option to save space on my iPod Touch and will I hear any audible differences with NuForce NE-7M headphones?
  2. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Transcoding from lossy format (the high bitrate AAC) to even lossier lower bitrate AAC is simply a bad bad idea, from start to finish. Apple is catering to people's ignorance over audio encoding and the fact that all too many people will follow the "oh it sounds good enough to me" line.

It's a bad idea, period, even in spite of it leaving the "original" files untouched at their original bitrates.

If you have decent hearing, and decent headphones, yes you'll notice some differences, and the transcoding from lossy to even lossier is most certainly going to damage the audio content, even if you're not capable of noticing it.

Just a bad idea all around.

A few bytes difference in the files... I can't imagine it would ever be worth it, not in any situation.
  3. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i though AAC was better than mp3 (quality wise)

Anyways, i always transcode my downloaded music to AAC 160/256kbps
    is that ok?
  4. tiger578

tiger578 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What he said. I know 128 kbps MP3 is horrid from personal experience, but I've heard 128 kbps AAC is much less noticeable in difference. But this is just from what I've heard =/