Control Mac from iPad...locally

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Reddkryten, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Reddkryten

Reddkryten New Member

Hi there.

I've been using a few VNC apps to control my Mac (which sits in another room) from my iPad and that's working pretty well, the only thing is, there is a very noticeable lag. I could be totally wrong but the way I understand it, this lag comes from the fact that the VNC client takes the long way round, going through the Internet/ISP and back again.

I would imagine that it would be a lot faster if a local area connection could be established via wifi or Bluetooth, but do any apps like this exist? The closest I have found is air display, but from what I can see it only works as a secondary display and cannot be used to fully control the Mac.

So, does anything like this exist?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
  2. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    yes, remotetap does it locally or through the internet, you decide. However, it was rectly taken off the market because of an issue with 4.0, but it should be back on soon.
  3. Reddkryten

Reddkryten New Member

Yay, that app looks perfect, I can't wait for it to return to the app store.

Thank you!
  4. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Instead of going through the internet, just put your Mac's local IP in.
    The local IP is assigned to the computer by the router, unless you specifically assign one.

If you're already using the local IP for your Mac on the iPad, no other application will make any difference. It's just a matter of how fast your router is.
  5. Reddkryten

Reddkryten New Member

Really, I didn't know that about the local ip. I've spent all day yesterday trying to find it in my airport settings, but not sure where it is (mostly because there's a few hundred tabs and sub tabs etc.)