Considering purchase - questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by eats7, Feb 20, 2009.

1. eats7

eats7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey,
    Im thinking about getting a 16gb ipod touch 2g. I just have some questions.

-If i jailbreak it, and i connect it to charge or computer or home theatre, as long as i dont reset it (with home and power), it will still be jailbroken?

-whats the difference between tethered and untethered?

-what problems are in the 2gs jailbreak? (glitches, or things that freeze that don't work)

-is it even worth it to JB now or wait?

-any thing else i should know before JB'n it or purchasing it?

-what can you do with it that the appstore doesnt have?

-also, i have around 10 gigs of music. if i jb it, with the installers and cydia(?) or whatever, and maybe a few apps, will there be enough room?

thats it for now, some more questions might come to mind, thanks guys.
  2. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    -Tethered is when you have to connect to a computer every reboot
    -Semi-Tethered is when you have to connect to a computer for jailbroken functionality
    -Several problems in Semi-Tethered, virtually none in tethered
    -You should wait for the full untethered
    -App Store has Limited functionality; no background processes, etc... Search the forums for more info.
  3. Firebird94

Firebird94 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1.) If you reset it (shut it off) you have to put it into dfu and reboot it using a boot tool and everything will still be there.

2.) Tethered means you need a computer to boot it up if it freezes or dies. Untethered means you can reboot it like a normal ipod.

3.) There aren't really any problems, but logome doesn't work. Nothing really makes it freeze, but once in a few weeks or months home button stops working and you can only see the music menu by pressing it twice. In this case you have to reboot it.

4.) It depends, do you want to have it if you have to shut it off and wait for computer access to start it back up, but have custom themes, extra settings, and tweaks, and etc. Or do you want to have a normal ipod but not have the themes/tweaks etc.

5.) Not really.

6.) You can get tweaks, games, tools, themes etc.

7.) Yeah there will be room cydia and all the included add-ons take up about 500 mb, and then themes ( i have like 15 or 20) only take up like 0.5 mb. Tweaks about 20 - 50 mb depending on how many you have and what they do.
  4. eats7

eats7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    alright, im rarely ever going to turn it off (just put it in sleep) unless it freezes or something. i am going to go purchase one, thank you for your input. will update if any other questions or concerns arise
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    okay hello again. i just have a couple more questions. i have purchased a 16gb and havent put anything on it.

1. so let me get this straight, if i jailbreak it teathered, it doesnt need to be connected to a computer and the only possible way to have to re JB is to reset it? (can i still "power off"?)

2. kinda offtopic, but if anyone has any really good cases that they use could you lend me some info?

thanks thats all for now, much appreciated.