Considering jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by halpert, Oct 18, 2007.

1. halpert

halpert New Member

I recently just got some money together for a new 8gb iPod touch. I absolutely love it, but what I don't love is the lack of apps on the home screen.

I've really been considering jailbreaking this thing, but the two things stopping me are...

•Memory. I only have 8gb so what will the jailbreak do to my memory? Can I still fit my music and tv shows on this thing with those extra apps?

•Getting bricked or any other sort of technical difficulty. I don't want to take huge risk with modding this thing considering it might void my warranty and I can't afford to buy a new one.

Your advice? Should I wait for apple's solution of the lack of apps? And if they do do something like that I probably can't wait a few more months. (I'm impatient.)
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I would definitely recommend at the very least trying to JailBreak. The way the iPod is set up, it is almost impossible to actually Brick it. And running a restore is very simple.

You shouldn't have to worry about space for apps, most people get by with only a few megabytes of apps because the apps are very small.
  3. Thomas.Closs

Thomas.Closs New Member

Seriously go for it i was really worried that id end up with a brick but just go with the automatic jailbreak

it worked wonders for me
  4. halpert

halpert New Member

Okay, well I think I find some time this weekend to try it out. Which method do you think works the best? I'm not that, eh, well I'm a "noob" or whatever you people are calling it so I probably would want the simplest method.
  5. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

6. jord

jord New Member

and as for space... you could install all the apps available and it wouldn't take up more than... 50 to 100mb of space ... well that's my ballpark guess..
  7. yonga

yonga New Member

You should definitely Jailbreak it!
    I simply gave it a try after I found the YouTube tutorials and I love the Jailbreak! It's super simple (if you have the most basic understand of using a computer) and won't take you more than 30 minutes (including adding the iPhone apps).

Without the Jailbreak this thing would be one boring, straight-forward and uninteresting mp3-player (well and videos too)!
    ;-)

Note: Once you've Jailbroken your iPod you should install the Community Packages in the installer. Otherwise you'll be wondering why there are only so few applications to choose from.

Good luck!
  8. prim07

prim07 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Dont jail break it! Trust me!

This is my second iPod touch, I recently attempted to jail break it, and now iTunes won't recognize my iPod, and music, vidoes, and ipod itunes won't open! So no I can't even restore my iPod, and I need to sell it back to target. It really sucks, trust me, don't try to.
  9. itouchedatouch

itouchedatouch New Member

Don't listen to prim, he obviously hasn't been trying to fix it himself. Go for it. Use an automatic jailbreak its really easy.
  10. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

To fix this problem you have to put your iPod into force restore mode. To do this see the last line in my signature.

About the jailbreak, I say go for it! It has really made my iPod better, I have nothing negative to say about it.