iOS 4.0 Considering jailbreaking, have some questions

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by lhamil64, Jun 23, 2010.

1. lhamil64

lhamil64 Active Member

Device:
    HTC One X
    I have an iPod Touch 2nd generation. I upgraded to iOS 4 but I'm kind of thinking about jailbreaking now. I've read that you can jailbreak using redsn0w. If I use redsn0w, does it completely restore my iPod so I'd have to put my apps back on?
    My main concern is not being able to get my iPod back to how it was before the jailbreak. It would be pretty cool to be able to do all the hacks that come with jailbreaking but I don't want to lose my current apps/music/notes etc.

EDIT:
    I have an MB model iPod Touch
  2. Hardkaare

Hardkaare New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You can always make the iPod as the way it was before. (restore trough iTunes)

If you use redsn0w you won't lose any apps.
  3. lhamil64

lhamil64 Active Member

Device:
    HTC One X
    I downloaded redsn0w yesterday but I didn't quite understand how to use it. Do I have to redownload the firmware file to load into redsn0w or is it located somewhere on my computer?

EDIT:
    Also, can you still sync with iTunes after a jailbreak?
  4. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    It's located somewhere on your computer. And yes, a jailbroken iPod functions the same way with iTunes as an unjailbroken iPod.
  5. lhamil64

lhamil64 Active Member

Device:
    HTC One X
    So redsn0w will just add Cydia and (if i select it) multitasking/wallpapers to my ipod? I downloaded redsn0w and unchecked wallpapers (since i've read they are slow) but kept multitasking. In this case, redsn0w will add Cydia and multitasking, correct?
  6. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yes. If you've elected to have custom boot logos or verbose boot, it'll enable those, too. (I must say, verbose boot looks sweet.)
  7. lhamil64

lhamil64 Active Member

Device:
    HTC One X
    Also, what works in iOS 4? I've been reading around online and it seems like not much is compatible at this point. I still haven't jailbroken yet because I don't want to jailbreak and then realize that a lot isn't compatible yet.
  8. sur_real

sur_real New Member

You might want to check out this thread and my post on the last page for a list of compatible apps.
  9. lhamil64

lhamil64 Active Member

Device:
    HTC One X
    I decided to try jailbreaking. When it got to the DFU mode part, I did what redsnow said. It went white for a few seconds but now my ipod screen is just black. Redsnow says: "waiting for reboot" with a blank progress bar.
    Should I try rebooting it manually or just leave it be for a while?

EDIT:
    I've been reading around the forums and I guess people have had luck unplugging it/plugging it back in, trying to turn it on etc but nothings working for me. its just sitting there with a black screen, not responding to anything

EDIT2:
    I reran redsnow and now i'm jailbroken!