Considering Deleteing iPod File system help.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DarkStar211, Jun 1, 2008.

1. DarkStar211

DarkStar211 New Member

Ok, i really messed up my iPod by using Swaptunes, ive restored and poked around the file system in ssh and i cant find wha ti need 2 get ridof the second partition on the the ipods disk. So would it work if i was to totallt delete everything on ssh and restore it, or would it jsut become a brick / disk.

Please help, dont let this post fall, i will keep making enw threads otherwise cos i really need some help and advice with this.
  2. aserraric

aserraric New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What do you mean, you have restored it and poked around the file system? After a restore, there should be no trace of any previously installed applications.

And the Touch has always had two partitions, a small one containing the system and a larger one that contains all the media and files.

I've never used Swaptunes, having no need for it, but as far as I understand it, it just renames directories. It doesn't mess with partitions. If it does, I would highly advise against its use, anyway.
  3. DarkStar211

DarkStar211 New Member

Swaptunes is supposed to make a fake aprtition or something in the music directory, i could not get to it or not find it in SSH, so i restored it hoping it would all be good and when i try and put the music i had form my other ocmputer where i was using swaptunes, it doesnt work and and wont sync cos it thinks its allredy on there, plus there is a 146mb chunk of 'other' on my system after a clean resore, currently running a fresh 1.1.4 im still having the same problems form the first restore where the songs dont sync up.

Tehre is no files fomr h previous of course, but iam wondering if i delete everything will a restore put it all back on there?
  4. aserraric

aserraric New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hmm, can you SSH into the Touch with Putty, run the "df" command and tell me what you see?

Here is what it should look like:
    Code:
    login as: root
    root@192.168.178.21's password:
    Last login: Sun Jun  1 15:05:21 2008 from 192.168.178.3
    # df
    Filesystem   512-blocks    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s1     614400  360664  247592    59%    /
    devfs                30      30       0   100%    /dev
    /dev/disk0s2   15244736 9982440 5262296    65%    /private/var
    #

The actual numbers will vary, of course. (this is a 8GB Touch which is about 3/4 full)
  5. apple123

apple123 New Member

No offense, but your posts do become a little hard to read, so please just read over them and correct your spelling mistakes.
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch