Consequences of Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by Random Name, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Random Name

Random Name New Member

So I am new to the forums and am not very computer intelligent

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have been looking into Jailbreaking my Itouch. What is the worst that can go wrong is what i want to know? What happens when the new update come out (for the touch) and your ipod has been jailbroken? If you restore your ipod afterwards can it be detected that it was hacked? Lastly can someone please direct me to somewhere which explain how to actually get the apps on to the touch. I understand how to jailbreak it, just not what to do next.
    Thanks would appreciate any help.
  2. TJd

TJd New Member

Once you jailbreak you get an insatller app. That us where u get all your apps. Just go to it and install community sources.
  3. TSOnTheDrums8892

TSOnTheDrums8892 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, I can answer one of your questions...
    After you jailbreak, your iPod can always be restored to its original state with no evidence that you ever jailbroke it. This may change if you update while your iPod is in it's jailbroken state. Also if you cause physical damage and the iPod cannot be turned on... the warranty will definitely be voided because there would be now way to restore your iPod, therefore you would not be able to get rid of the jailbreak files. SO... Jailbreaking is fine, it just depends on how much trust you put in the durability of the product i guess.
  4. bts0uth

bts0uth New Member

as long as you still have 1.1.1 jailbreaking really has no consequences (i havent upgraded to 1.1.2 yet). I cant even imagine having a normal iPod Touch now.. it seems almost useless lol. Use Touchfree or whatever method you decide and it pretty much automatically will jailbreak it, install ssh, and install installer.

After that, install "Community Sources" then just go through the package list in installer and install whatever programs you want. There are guides for pretty much everything on these forums, just look at em
  5. Cybercoach

Cybercoach New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Jailbreak and consequences

You really should try the search function - everythng you are asking has been anwered many times.

1. A full restore wipes out all evidence of Jailbreaking as far as anyone knows.
    2. Using the one step or touch free method ,pps are added two ways:
    First after jailbreaking you use new installer app and your wif-fi connection to install additional apps (they show in a list called packages) Make sure you install BSD and Community services to get access to all available apps.
    Second you can add apps by using ssh on your touch and an ftp client on your computer to manually add other apps not available through installer.
    3. the worst that can happen is that is you get an usatble iPoT and you have too force a restore. Out of everything I've read 1 person claims to have bricked their touch; however consensus is that they just didn't know how to force a restore or had a hardware issue.
  6. Random Name

Random Name New Member

So basically if it is updated jailbroken and then restored there is no trace?
    Thanks for the quick responses, i think that i will try it soon.
  7. Cybercoach

Cybercoach New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Right when you restore you completely re-write the ROM image and put it in its factory shipped state.
  8. Red devil

Red devil New Member

lol I returned my itouch for a new one because it was messed up and I forgot to restore. The best buy "experts" didnt even notice the 10 extra apps on it. Dont be afraid of jailbreaking. Its not illegal or anything and unless you download a bad app it won't mess it up.
  9. mxnl1090

mxnl1090 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    can anyone tell me if you should jailbreak right out of the box or if you should connect to itunes first, or does it not matter??
  10. lachlan438

lachlan438 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    it will not matter