Connecting to Wifi with ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dominix, May 5, 2009.

1. dominix

dominix New Member

Hello guys @ ifans.com!

I believe my mom and dad is planning on buying me an ipod touch 2g for my birthday, which is awesome

Please Register or Log in to view images

! 2 June btw! I´ve downloaded Itunes to check out some info and check some apps, and i saw something like you need wireless internet at home to be able to connect your ipod touch to the internet, i assume this is correct, but wow is there no other way =(? We have´nt got wireless internet at home and i was kinda planning on buying an ipod anyways so i´ve planned to maybe jailbreak it, for cydia ofc

, but then i found out cydia is also through internet -.-, any ideas? Is there some kind of wirles thingy for my wired router to be able to send wirles internet especially for the ipod touch?

Help for this is grately appreciated!

Thanks and Take Care!

Robin Stridh
  2. whcodered

whcodered Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hello! You are correct, you need wifi to browse the internet on your iPod touch. You may be able to use a neighbor's wifi if it is unsecured, but this isn't reliable and potentially immoral

. The only way for you to get wifi is to buy a wireless router. They really aren't that expensive these days and you'll be prepared in the future should you ever buy a laptop, so you really should consider this.

However, there is a program called Cyder which will let you download apps/themes/whatever from Cydia using your PC and then put them on your iPod touch through the USB cable, although I haven't ever used this program myself. Read more about it here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161960
  3. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    there actually is a way that you dont need a wireless router.

Check the specs on ur computer, if u bought it in the past few months, you should be able to create something called an Ad Hoc network which your ipod can connect to and use just like a wifi network.

Also. like whcodered said, check out Cyder - very useful for getting cydia apps without wifi and having to SSH

Lastly, you might want to look up something called iNetcable. It was a project by the dev team to get internet on ur ipod thru your computer thru the USB cable.

best of luck and enjoy your new ipod when u get it
  4. dominix

dominix New Member

wow thanks alot =), but do i need to change internet operator and contract when buying a wirless router? Or does the wireless router only extend the internet from the modem through a chord?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Thanks also for this information =)! But i have not bin very up to date with computers, mine is about 5 years old or more =/
  5. whcodered

whcodered Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nope you can use your existing internet provider. The router simply connects to your modem. You said you have a wired router already? The wireless router can take place of the wired one.