connecting to a network..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MicroLzyD, Dec 12, 2007.

1. MicroLzyD

MicroLzyD New Member

when i was at starbucks, and connected to their wifi and when i opened safari, it showed the starbucks main page or something, and it didn't let me go to a different site

why?
    and how do i fix it?

and
    at this place i go to often, it requires that i have a VPN client installed on the device that i use
    anyway to put the software on the touch?
    http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Content.aspx?DepartmentID=278&PageID=8481
    that's the vpn client i'm talking about
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    For your first question: I'm pretty sure that at Starbucks, free wi-fi is only available to see the song, you can't just surf the web.
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Danls92 is correct - Starbucks is paid Wi-Fi. The only thing free at Starbucks is the iTunes Wi-Fi Store...
  4. MicroLzyD

MicroLzyD New Member

o i seeee

but, what about this vpn client thing
    any ideas?
  5. FauxShow

FauxShow New Member

Also, some networks will start you off on one network before you agree to their terms (without requiring payment), then pass you to the other side of the network allowing you to connect to the internet. To name a few places where you'll see this: Panera Bread, many hotel chains, and airports like LAS, SAN, and FLL.

To answer your second question, the VPN client will need to be coded specifically for the device and current os/firmware. After Vista came out, it was nearly a year before Cisco and SonicWALL even released working Betas for their VPN client. While part of that is because Vista is a pile of crap, it does show that it's no small or quick venture. It certainly might be possible, but it might not be feasible.
  6. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just to clarify, yes there is a VPN client in the iPod Touch. However, you'll need a full working internet connection to use it, so no go at Starbucks (unless you pay for access). Unless you have a VPN that you regularly connect to, you can just ignore the VPN stuff... you won't need it...
  7. rprince

rprince New Member

Hi,

Have you successfully connected to a VPN on your iPod Touch? I get an error saying the server does not exist!

Cheers,
    Rikki
  8. CaliScreamin

CaliScreamin New Member

starbucks is only meant for the iTunes store. not to surf the web. Same problem happend to me before lol

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. ripcurlboardmaster

ripcurlboardmaster New Member

i also get the same error message when trying to connect to my Uni's VPN connection. The settings are all the same as my laptop settings and that connects fine. Any1 with any ideas??