Connecting through SFTP/SSH

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by psh jamason, Oct 30, 2007.

1. psh jamason

psh jamason New Member

I've tried connecting after Jailbreaking via the method where you visit the web address on Safari, it crashes, automatically restarts the iPod about 30 seconds later, and it's then Jailbroken, and it doesn't seem to work. I keep getting Connection Timed Out errors, using WinSCP. I use the IP address found in Settings > WiFi and I click the blue arrow next to the network I'm on and use the IP Address listed at the top of the list as the host, root as the user, and alpine as the password.

I'm not sure if I understand the process to connect to the computer. As far as I know, you need to be connected to a WiFi network on your iPod, and have it plugged in the computer. Am I correct? The connection for internet on my computer is through a wired network so having both the computer and the iPod connected to the same network is impossible. I was wondering if this could be the issue? As I read another post about this but all it did was further confuse me.

Thank you for any help.
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Do you have OpenSSH installed? If not, then you can download that from Installer.
  3. psh jamason

psh jamason New Member

I have OpenSSH, yes.
  4. donkeykong

donkeykong Banned

I am having this problem as well. I've actually jailbreaked my ipod successfully, and can install apps on it, but I need to ssh to the ipod to install things from the computer, such as maps.app.

Even with lock set to never, and restarting and all of that, I still get "connection timed out" when I use winSCP. my wireless network is a 172.xx.xx.xx, for both the PC and the ipod touch.
  5. Kilprot

Kilprot New Member

I myself had trouble connecting, but then realized that since my computer and my ipod weren't on the same router, that the ipods IP isn't connectable directly from that computer, and had to use a laptop also on that wireless router.
    I would love a way to connect from a pc on any network, anywhere, but i dunno if that's possible.
    Any ideas people?
  6. iammatrick

iammatrick New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    thats exactly what is happening to me. i also downloaded the OpenSSH and BSD subsystem. Is there anything else I need to download to Ipod or a setting I need to change? I spent 3 hours last night trying to figure it. There's some great programs on the install apps, but i'd like to get some other (maps, e-mail, ROMs, etc). i understand the process of installing those programs once I'm connected via cyberduck, I just can't figure out how to connect.