Connecting iPodTouch to TV

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by balaji_cs, Dec 3, 2007.

1. balaji_cs

balaji_cs New Member

Mac Friends,

I am in the process of evalauting ipodTOuch its compatability with the TV. With this regard I would like to know the following:

1. Does iPodTOuch support both NTSC and PAL TV?
    2. Is there any special configuration required from the ipodTouch or just the AV cable connects the iPod and the TV is sufficient.
    3. Can we play all the videos in the ipod or there is any restriction?

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs

-Balaji
  2. Happyhow

Happyhow New Member

HI:

I have not used the iTouch TV capability as I have not bought the required cables. However, I have read the details in the Apple manual -- see pge 63 in http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPod_touch_Features_Guide.pdf

Here's is my "shot" at your questions:

1: YES -- within this iPod's "Preference" settings, you may select PAL or NTSC .

2: Cables are a $50ish purchase and you have a choice of composite or component. The iTouch outputs a 480i signal and so I assume that an HDTV would upconvert to at least 720p.

3: The iTouch itself allows videos and photos -- but not Internet "screens" -- to be routed to a TV. User reviews of this feature are positive.

PS:
    The iTouch resizes & crops letterbox movies to fill its screen size. You simply tap the screen ! I do not know what you can do with the remote when you output to a TV screen.
  3. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i tried a cable i ony heard the audio
  4. bene

bene New Member

does anybody know how i could get the menus working on my tv ?
    i can only play photos or movies on my tv! but the touch menus are NOT shown on tv :-(
    that doesnt make sense to me.
    i have the apple universal dock and the remote control ... but they dont make any sens if i have to leave my couch if i would like to change the video...
  5. azayzel

azayzel New Member

Yeah, Apple was real slick with this one. They actually put in a lock-out chip inside the device that must communicate with with a chip in their new cables, otherwise you only get sound and no video. I picked up a pair of the old Apple AV cables and only got sound, I returned 'em and did some research to find this out. Friggin greedy bas*ards!
  6. revmsf

revmsf New Member

new cable & dock

I have a brand new composite cable and dock - which together cost me an extortionate $140 (I live in the UK). The sound and video output work fine with or without the dock, both PAL and NTSC. A pop-up box appears to ask you if you want to output to TV.
    BUT I'm not impressed that the dock remote doesn't work properly with the top-of-the-range iPod. The menu button does nothing. At the very least, I'd want that to return you to a list of videos/tunes. You should be able to navigate the menus. I can see that would require some additional programming, given that the touch interface just doesn't normally work like that - but for $670, I expect more from Apple.
  7. 1god1king

1god1king New Member

ya you need this cable for the touch /iphone 49.99
    comes with wall charge

Please Register or Log in to view images