Connect to iPod wirelessly through SSH?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mortel, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello all, long time no see.

I used to come here often, but stopped after a while due to lack of interest. I still do not consider myself a noob to the iPod, though, I know a decent amount of information about it.

But, I recently learned that I should be able to connect to my iPod via SSH/FTP/SFTP wirelessly!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Whenever I use a program such as Winscp or CuteFTP, I need to have my iPod plugged into the computer via USB for it to work.

Does anyone know how I can get it to connect to my computer without the USB cable, over my Wi-Fi network (like I believe it is supposed to)?

Sorry if I sound like a fool, and it is not supposed to connect wirelessly over the network without a cable, but I've been doing it one way for a long time, and when I find out that I could have been doing it in a much easier fashion, it sparks my interest.

2. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Why is everyone worried about being called a noob?

Anyway mate, having a USB connection has nothing to do with the SSH connection working.

When using SSH with you iPod it runs over 802.11 (x) not a physical connection.

iPresume your client and iPod are on the same subnet?
  3. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yes, yes they are.
    And I wasn't worried, I just didn't want to have to deal with people pointing me in the direction of "How to Jailbreak" or "How to SSH" threads/tutorials.

And that is very strange, because I can only connect when my iPod is plugged in via USB. Otherwise, it does not find the connection.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I got an email saying someone replied to this, but it is not showing up here. o_o

Yes, I do. I can connect to my iPod just fine through SSH, the issue is just that it won't let me unless I am connected via USB.
  4. AvodCS

AvodCS Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I like to use USB to connect via SSH instead of Wi-Fi, because the file transfer is faster, and if I need to delete some files or change permissions I just use MobileFinder. But what's the message displayed when you try to conect via Wi-Fi?
  5. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yea, I've been doing it through USB for quite a while, ever since I found connecting via Wi-Fi quite unreliable.

It's not that I can't connect with Wi-Fi, it's that I can't connect with Wi-Fi without being plugged into my computer via USB. The actual file transfers are not going through the USB, they are going via Wi-Fi. It just won't allow me to connect if i am not plugged in to my PC.

....wait a minute. I was just going to give you the error that it gives me, when it suddenly connected, WITHOUT A USB CABLE. What the heck?
    For over a year now I've been having this error, and right when I post a thread about it, it resolves?

Thanks for your help I guess guys, hopefully the problem stays away forever.