Confusion about a "locked" iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by farahm2, Feb 10, 2009.

1. farahm2

farahm2 New Member

Hey there people, i am SO confused. Okay, when people say that their iphone 3g is LOCKED, what do they mean? Because, in my head when i hear that, i picture just a, pretty much broken, iphone. By broken, i mean that it is useless and that none of the features work and that it would not even let you get the the main screen. That is what i think of.

What i want to know is, what exactly happens when an iphone is locked. Is it just the phone feature that does not work. Would the ipod, camera, and installed apps work, even if the iphone is locked? And also, i know that people unlock the iphone to use it on different phone carriers. I am currently already using AT&T as my wireless cell provider. So would the iphones phone functionality work if i just popped my sim card into it? it should, right?

Oh good God, im confused!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Unlocked = carriers other than AT&T

Locked = AT&T only

It has nothing to do with the functionality of the device itself.
  3. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If it is a brand new phone it will need to be "activated" for all of the functionality to be there. If it has been activated then everything will work.

Also, even if your on AT+T you can't just pop your SIM into a 3G and expect it to work or a 2G for that matter). They have different plans specifically for the iPhones and they want more money for them.

I had no issues using my basic plan with a 2G unlocked phone (AT+T didn't care). I started using a 3G and within 24 hours I had multiple texts and an email stating to call AT+T or they would start charging me for the 3G service. When I called they wanted more money for me to use the 3G and there was no way around it that I had found.