Confused with Itunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by D-tale, Sep 15, 2008.

1. D-tale

D-tale New Member

Hey all,

It's my first post on the forum, v interesting posts indeed!

I got a new ipod touch recently and as I'm not an apple fun I've never really used itunes before...I was wondering what will happen in case i format my hard drive...they've told me that once i re-install itunes i will have to sync and lose all my songs as ipod touch can only synchonise with one version of itunes and then copy all the songs and videos all over again...

Is that true? I mean come on Apple, that's common sense!

Thanks!
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Erm, I moved from my iBook to my MacBook Pro seamlessly without having to resync...
    So I don't think it is.
  3. D-tale

D-tale New Member

Thanks Meikura - I am not using a Mac but here's a quote from a website that proves my point

"All audio files stored on an Apple iPod can be erased when the iPod is connected to a new or recently re-formatted computer or hard drive. The contents of the iPod correspond to audio files added to the iTunes music library on exactly one computer: the first computer to which the iPod is ever connected. When the iPod is connected to a different computer running iTunes, all audio files stored on the iPod can be erased to exactly match that computer's music library, no matter what the number of audio files in the computer's music library. "

I still have 5 days to return it and get my money back...

Please Register or Log in to view images

I really want to keep away from Apple's odd practices.With a Creative Zen, you can just drag and drop files as it recognises it as an external hard drive...
  4. akki007

akki007 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I think you are confused. If you have synced your touch with computer A (Containing your music library) then connect and sync with computer B (Containing no music) then yes, your iPod Touch will be wiped.

If what you are really asking is, can you get music off your iPod Touch if you no longer have the original files on your hard drive, the answer is yes. Download TouchCopy.
  5. D-tale

D-tale New Member

Thanks akki007 - what I am basically asking is what happens in the following scenario:

- My hard drive fails and I have to format it
    - Obviously i will have to re-install itunes and the collection will be blank (i.e. itunes will handle it as a new PC i guess)
    - Then I want to add more music to my Ipod touch

I believe it will not be possible to add more tunes without wiping my entire collection and then re-adding everything?

I just find it hard to understand why Apple wants to make our lives harder...
  6. akki007

akki007 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    In that case, just use TouchCopy to copy all the existing songs on your iPod to your newly formatted hard drive, import all of that into your newly installed iTunes and away you go! You lose nothing.
  7. D-tale

D-tale New Member