Confused about apps...

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by carfreak95, Nov 25, 2008.

1. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey guys, as you can see im new to the forum which automaticly makes me new to an ipod touch (what i mean is everyone with an ipod touch comes here xD)
    I own a 1g 16gb ipod touch.
    I jailbreaked it with the 2.2 software and the ipod itself seems to be working fine, however, im realllyyyy confused with what Cydia and Installer are.
    What my main question is: How can I get all or most apps on cydia or installer (or whichever is which), so i can browse through them and install.
    Confused about what sources etc. are.

Thanks a lot, please reply back for clarification.
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Don't use Installer as it's very buggy. Use Cydia only. A repo soıurce is a Unıx website where someone is hosting apps, themes etc. Add repo sources into Cydia and download apps - see my signature below for a thread with all the current sources. In Cydia go to 'Manage' -> 'Sources' -> 'Edit' -> 'Add' and then write in the repo address http://.....

Hope it helps.
  3. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hm..
    uh still confused sorry =(
    im COMLETELY confysed!
    please explain step by step what to do with cydia/ installer.
  4. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    someone respond? please
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Okay I'll try again

Please Register or Log in to view images

Cydia and Installer4 are programs that allow you to download and install applications, themes and hacks to jailbroken devices.

To get started: open up Cydia and let it refresh. You have a tab bar at the bottom w/ Home, Sections, Changes, Manage and Search. If you go to the Sections tab and choose the All Packages folder you will see all the packages that you have available to download. Click on one to bring up the package details and let it refresh. You can then either click on Install to download, though it's often better to first check for a More Info link or Screenshot link to get more info.

The Changes tab allows you to see what new packages are available for download, ordered by date, and also shows if there are any updates to your installed packages.

The Manage tab allows you to add more repo sources (see the Ultimative Sources Thread link in my signature for more) and to uninstall packages from your device.

The Search tab allows you to search for a package by name.

That should get you started...

p.s. don't use Installer 4, it blows and is terribly buggy. Use Cydia only.