Confirmed Sdk Will Need 1.1.4 -

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bob92, Feb 16, 2008.

1. bob92

bob92 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    "Now working alongside Apple, Tiny Code, a onetime repository for fixes and updates to some unauthorized third-party iPhone applications, briefly leaked some information this week on the handset maker's plans for distributing authorized applications via its website.

Chief among the revelations was that Apple will apparently manage and distribute software for the iPhone and iPod touch written using its upcoming Software Developers Kit (SDK) through its ubiquitous iTunes Store.

"Tiny Code no longer produces fixes or applications for firmware 1.1.3. We can't say much, but we are working with Apple and with their SDK for the next firmware release and SDK applications and we shouldn't be missed for long," the developer wrote in a message on its website that has since been remove. "We will no longer update our Installer.app repo for legality reasons and you should see us soon on iTunes."

In a sidebar item also since removed from the site, Tiny Code also wrote "Now targeting fw 1.1.4 alpha 2," implying that applications written using the iPhone SDK will only function on iPhones running the still unreleased iPhone software version 1.1.4.

While announcing Apple's formal intent to offer an official SDK for the iPhone and iPod touch last October, company chief executive Steve Jobs also hinted that his firm was taking extra precautions to develop a distribution system that would protect users from viruses, malware, and privacy attacks -- one that many have long speculated would involve the iTunes Store in some fashion.
    "

"While this makes such a phone less than 'totally open,' we believe it is a step in the right direction," he wrote. "We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious program

Apple insider
    Source-http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/02/15/leak_third_party_iphone_apps_to_be_issued_through_itunes_store.html

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. d00m42

d00m42 Member

All I can say is wow. I guess we will just have to jb 1.1.4 some way.. stupid leakers
  3. steveo3

steveo3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  4. bob92

bob92 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah this sucks for us

. God dam it apple, do you need a freaking itunes and a firmware update for every freaking update to the touch???
  5. optikalblitz

optikalblitz New Member

I, for one, welcome our new iTMS overlords.

Seriously, this is good news--so long as apple doesn't intend to start charging $3.99 for each app you download. But embedding more protection and stabilizing these applications would really help the iPod Touch (and iPhone of course). We'll see what course of action Apple takes with the distribution (as we know it's going to be through iTunes exclusively).

I'm assuming they will let developers decide whether or not to keep things Open Source. If they're smart, Open Source will continue to remain the norm, even after losing the whole homebrew aspect.
  6. bob92

bob92 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sorry for double post but funny that tiny code.com does not exist anymore - apple took it down and now its being redirected to apple dev center

7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Yeah, this news is a little old, but it is still important.

This is the reason that the Dev Team held off on releasing their JailBreak. I don't know if Zibree's jailbreak is the same as the Dev Team's, but if it is, then Zibree is about to have the entire internet angry at him.

Anyway, it's funny if you try going to that site now: http://tiny-code.com
  8. ./^\.ACE./^\.

./^\.ACE./^\. Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    A link to the iPhone Dev center... WTF...
    I think they are kissing a little to much a$$ here...
  9. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't see how this matters..
    Zibri's hack probably can't be changed and his decryption key gives us of at least a soft upgrade from now on.
    Have fun continuing to not listen to me though!

Plus, Nikita exists on 1.1.3, so it's probably somehow possible.
    iTunes will most likely make you update, but I'm sure there's ways around it.
  10. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)