COMPUTER won't recognized iTouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AaronAMV, Mar 26, 2009.

1. AaronAMV

AaronAMV New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Tonight, I tried to jailbreak my iTouch, and got to the point to the DFU when it all went wrong. I put it in DFU mode, and my computer won't recognize it. Eventually, I figured out how to reset the iTouch so that the settings are where they were before DFU.

The problem is that my computer, nor iTunes, will recognize my iTouch. I can't even find my iTouch in my device manager for that matter. I know it's my computer, and not my iTouch, because I plugged my iTouch in my wall charger, and it is charging perfectly.

Help?
  2. redsn0wshoes

redsn0wshoes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    first of all, wrong forum area.

secondly, your charger will charge it anytime, even when you think it's busted. So that is inconsequential. You're not doing DFU right. If you were, your comp would recognize an apple device in recovery mode and itunes would come up saying you need to restore.

hold home and power for ten proper seconds (one-one-thousand, etc.) then let go of the power and continue to hold home for 7-8 seconds, or until your comp reacts to the ipod and brings up itunes.

Are you trying a tethered jailbreak? b/c the untethered is out, you know. go to the 2g jailbreak sub-forum and check out the stickies at the top.

I used quickfreedom, but everyone now is saying redTool is better... they full version 1.0 is almost out, i would wait for the full version, instead of using one of the betas.
  3. yuyaera

yuyaera Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    if you got vista then you should hear the sounds when you put it into DFU mode so listen for that.
  4. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    its because you have the wrong device. iPod Touches we have. jk

install bonjour
  5. AaronAMV

AaronAMV New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well I, like you, used quickfreedom. I did the DFU correctly I think; I held the power and home button until I heard the chime, let go of the power button, then heard the second chime. even if I did do something, I can't fix it since the computer won't recognize the iTouch to put it in DFU mode again.
  6. redsn0wshoes

redsn0wshoes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    um, once you start the button presses you should only hear one chime, the one at the end. *chime on plugin>does not recognize>hold power and hold for 10>let go of power and hold home for 7-8>chimes to recognize apple mobile device in recovery mode>itunes comes up and says you need to restore the ipod.*
    you can try a different usb port, or try to uninstall and reinstall itunes. That might help. And are you certain you have libUSB installed (in compatibility mode if on vista) and C++ runtime? You prolly do but I gotta ask.
  7. AaronAMV

AaronAMV New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Huh, well that's weird. I tried it a good four to five times just like that, and I heard two chimes. Yes, I also had LibUSB installed and running in XP Compatibility mode.

Anyway, I ended up just doing a system restore on my computer, so everything is fine. I'm curious to as what went wrong, though. I'll probably try to jailbreak my iTouch in another month or so.
  8. doctadunk

doctadunk New Member

you should visit itouchfans.com and check the forums, they might be able to help you.
  9. el0808a

el0808a New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    my ipod touch was screwed up for months and i tried everthing...uninstalling, reinstalling, drivers, ....this was the only thing that got my computer to recoginze my ipod again:

hold home and power for ten proper seconds (one-one-thousand, etc.) then let go of the power and continue to hold home for 7-8 seconds, or until your comp reacts to the ipod and brings up itunes.

thanks so much, redsn0wshoes...you saved my sanity