Computer wont recognize ITouch Please Help!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wally410, Mar 31, 2009.

1. wally410

wally410 New Member

I jail broke my itouch 2G 8gb. after doing so i proceeded to reboot it. when attempting to put it into dfu mode i think i didnt time the buttons properly and now my itouch is completly unresponsive. it will not turn on. it will not be recognized by the computer. and i am unable to attempt another reboot because of it. any suggestions on how i can get it alive again??
  2. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hold down power and home while plugged in. listen to the computer, when you hear two beeps (low pitch) let go of power and continue holding home until you hear another two beeps (high pitch) then let go of home. You are now in dfu mode and itunes should say that your ipod is in restore mode than do the next step where you were last at to get the white screen once you got white screen hold shift on keyboard and press restore on itunes select your custom firmware and install

note: if the first two beeps you hear are the higer pitch then you're not doing it right lover pitch sounds mean ipod unplugged and higher pitch means ipod detected forget about the counting crap
  3. wally410

wally410 New Member

whenever i plug my ipod into the computer. i get a message comming up saying that the unit plugged into the usb drive is malfunctioning. i have attempted to plug my ipod in and put it into dfu mode but have no success
  4. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    do you have libusb installed?
  5. wally410

wally410 New Member

i did on the computer i used to jailbreak it i believe. it was right after jailbreaking it that i attempted to reboot it as it said it was recomended. when it came to the stage of putting it into dfu mode. i pressed the 2 buttons. for a second the screen asked me to turn it off. i ignored that and continued to hold down the buttons. then i must have messed up the timing for the rest of the dfu mode.
  6. mdavis6565

mdavis6565 New Member

I believe I am having the same problem but if so it has nothing to do with your timing of holding the buttons down as mine crashed when I was browsing cydia. My thread is http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169203. Hopefully one of us can get some answers. Right now I am hoping that once the battery dies I may be able to do a normal hard reset or tethered restart from dfu mode but right now I can not get a computer to recognize it and the ipod itself is completely dead.
  7. irfman

irfman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've just got the exact same problem. I jailedbreaked my ipod touch just fine, went into Cydia and asked for updates, it did that well but when it asked to Restart, my ipod didnt come back on and the computer says Usb device malfunctioned. Whats gone wrong?

*EDIT!*

Guys, I have fixed my solution and I think it may help you aswell, I jailbreaked my Ipod Touch using the Cyw00d helper and if you repeat Steps 5-7, this will restore your ipod touch with cydia still installed. If the ipod touch goes dead after an update or something like how i did it, Follow Steps 5-6 and from the Cyw00d helper application.

Hope that helps.
  8. wally410

wally410 New Member

i also have solved my issue. by pure luck i suppose. it was a timing issue. although now i am stuck with another issue. when i attempt to reboot my ipod in itunes i get an error message saying that it cannot find the right file. and or as though it does not know what version to reboot it on. i did jailbreak it priar to this. and my itunes is a 8.1version.
  9. iHome

iHome New Member

do u have to restore it with a "NOR Only" Firmware or with the custom firmware?
  10. ipodtoucherd

ipodtoucherd New Member

Wth is an ITouch.

Its an Ipod Touch