Computer Programmer vs. Computer Software Engineering

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by tinyman392, Sep 4, 2010.

1. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    OK... I was just doing a little research into this (I plan on majoring in CS). But the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) lists "Computer Programmer" and "Computer Software Engineer" as two different professions. After reading the descriptions for both of these, I'm not really sure what the big differences are (or if there are any... I know I might sound dumb right now. But what are the main differences between the two? And if anyone could give a better description of both of these (you are currently occupied as one or did some credible research), it would be much appreciated.
  2. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well programming is a part of Software engineering.
    Programming is just the part about actually coding the software.
    Software engineering is the entire process of planning, coding, testing, and all of that.
    Wikipedia is good on its description and talking about this subject.
  3. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Oh, OK, I see now. Thanks.

Programming = JUST coding.

Engineering = programming + planning + debugging + testing + other stuff...

Thanks again JacobVengeance for the clarification and fast response.

Unfortunately, the definitions of software engineering and computer programming on Wikipedia are exactly the same XD . But I'll accept your definitions...
  4. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Your welcome.
    I know the process because that is what I plan on majoring in.
    I want to be able to do the whole process and understand it more.
  5. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    What does the computer science degree entitle me to do? I'm planning on going to college for it next fall but am not sure what all I can do with it..
  6. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

Learn Java or a C language. Then learn other C languages. You should still take the VB6 class though for programming basics.
  7. Sup3rsonic

Sup3rsonic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah at my school we use Visual Basic 6, and code in BASIC. That's why I feel I'm really behind everyone

Please Register or Log in to view images

. However, in the Computing Uni course I am looking at they teach you C++
  8. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Sup3rsonic: I have absolutely NO programming courses in my high school. Just a class for photoshop/flash, game development with flash, web page pub. and some basic classes with Excel and Word and stuff. I begged my teacher to try to get some sort of programming class for independent studying lol
  9. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    It allows you to basically program as a career. It's job outlook is also a little promising... But if you do choose it, make sure you actually like to program (otherwise, expect some hell).
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Actually, VB has a lot of the stuff that will carry on into C++ and other object oriented programming languages. It's a good language to begin with because it doesn't have syntax (And the computer corrects a lot of beginner mistakes).
    I found a game programming with Flash book in my teacher's recycling bin (He let me keep it by the way

). But to be honest, after flipping through the book, I saw that many of the things in Flash also relate to the stuff you do in programming... Programming doesn't change; even if you're doing games, command line, or applications... Though it may not go as in depth, it still goes about the basics you will need to conquer.
    If you are a beginner, VB would actually help you out a lot. It includes a lot of the stuff that will carry on to the other languages. Otherwise, if you know VB, go JAVA or C++. A C++ book is starting out with C++ by Gaddis (Can't remember the first name from the top of my head, I think it's Tony, don't take my word for it

).
  10. berky93

berky93 New Member

Hypothetical hi-five for future CS majors!