Computer Languages.

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by joeyhbaby, Jan 8, 2008.

1. joeyhbaby

joeyhbaby New Member

I'm really new at this. I'm sorry this question might seem really noobish, but I've been wondering about it for sometime now. I want to be able to create apps for the iPod Touch, I know that it will take a few months to be able to do, but I am willing to do that. What I'm wondering is what is the easiest computer language I should start to learn so that I can build up to C++. and how long did it take you guys to learn a computer language when you first started? Thanks.
  2. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It depends on your background, really, and I think there is no real wrong way to start learning how to program (except maybe with Visual Basic...

Please Register or Log in to view images

) because it all boils down on getting used to manipulate a flow of instructions. However, there is something we call good practices, and some languages can help you build good programs faster than other languages which are more messy in nature (writing in Forth is very funny, but reading the program of someone else isn't, and there is no incentive to make it look clean).

A few years ago, I would have said Pascal was a good first language, but it's not commonly used anymore

Python is a pretty good way to start because it's interpreted, works on several platforms (Windows, Linux, ... even the iPod has a Python interpreter!), and has been designed with clarity in mind. It also is object-oriented. You can even build GUI applications with wxPython (or Qt). And you don't have yet to think at a lower level like in C, for example you can manipulate strings of characters easily.

If you feel like it, you can also directly start with C++ but like I said, it really depends on your background.

Either way, you should start by programming a few simple applications in text mode before attempting GUI applications if you're just beginning. The philosophy is a little different and IMHO a good base is necessary to avoid confusion.

Just for information, programming GUI applications for the iPod is done in Objective-C. I would definitely not start by that one, but C++ should give you a good basis since there are basically both derived from the C language (although the former has apparently taken a wrong turn somewhere on the path). Unless I'm wrong C or C++ can also be used to program the main part of an application, leaving the GUI interaction part in Objective-C.
  3. Kicon

Kicon New Member

python is a really easy language to learn

if you were trying to program for the computer I would have suggest C# with .net

but c++ is not a hard language
  4. thebusdriver

thebusdriver New Member

im currently learning c++. I jumped right into and its not that hard to understand. I guess you could say i have a little background with programming though. But c++ isnt that hard except complex classes is hard for me to grasp, still trying to work on that.
  5. Vision_Again

Vision_Again New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I started on Perl and i really like it but python is really good 2
  6. SladeX

SladeX New Member

I'd keep working with c++ if I were you, actually making the jump to java wouldn't be too hard once you have a basic understanding of c++. Even Visual Basic has gotten a bit up to speed with the times, Visual Basic.net looks a LOT better now than it did pre .net . They've incorporated quite a number of concepts from both c++ and java which make it easier to program in, albeit still clinging to that visual basic syntax as not to alienate their origins.

I found that in learning both c++ and java that by comparing how both function, you get a better idea of how each works and doesn't work. After reading a bit on objective c, all I can say is WTF? to apple. It took a wrong turn, got lost and ended up a continent away from where it was headed. I want whatever they were smoking when they came up with some of the concepts there.
  7. MiG™

MiG™ New Member

Its the hardest programming language to learn, inside and out. You have to manage memory, and also somethings in c++ can get ridiculously complex:

const int* const px = &x;

See where i'm going? the above code is valid. Do you know what it does?
  8. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've been coding longer then most of you have been alive - 30 years now - ugh.

Learn C - pretty simple. Move to C++, badly is easy, using all of the object-oriented language features correctly might take you a few months (especially if you go ahead and really learn how to do object oriented programming.) You could also learn Java at some point - if you screw your eyes up and pretend, it's almost the same as C++. Not really, but you can kinda code bad Java that looks sorta like bad C++.

Apple's using objective-C, which is like C/C++ only different

Me personally, it seems like all my coding is in PHP these days. You know, Web2.0 and all that. Coding apps is so last century

Hey - at least it's not NewtonScript. Gawd that was awful.
  9. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I do. Do I win a cookie?

Just because you can write awful code in C++ doesn't mean you have to.. it just won't protect you from yourself. Kinda like owning a handgun.
  10. MiG™

MiG™ New Member

No. But seen as most people in this thread are stipulating C++ to be an easy language, I believe different so posted some code that shows how much of a c*ck up you can make in C++.

Personally I would learn the concepts of programming in VB.Net, move on to C++, C# and Java.

You gain all the concepts from VB.Net, yet you just have to adapt to the syntax of the 3 other languages, which are basically identical.

I was trying to make a point.

I think Obj-C is shocking, personally.

PHP is again easy to code for, but trying to make something secure and usable on a commercial level is a completely different matter entirely, one which you'll probably know about so i'll shut up now.