Computer Help

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by ZombieKiller, Jun 27, 2008.

1. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Ok...

Well, I got tired of Vista being laggy as hell on my computer, so I put all of my stuff that I wanted to keep on my XP partition (Dual Booting).

I then formated my Vista partition without thinking... and my XP won't boot.

Then I tried installing Linux to get my stuff online so I can download it later on a fresh install... right now I'm zippig my files.

Is there a way on Linux to fix the booting problem on my computer?
  2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    GRUB comes default with Ubuntu (and many up to date Operating Systems). However, if you mean use GRUB to boot Windows, it will work, but it will take some time and configuration most likely.

I doubt this would work, but you could give it a try, as I said, you may need some configuration for GRUB to see Window's NT kernel image. But, when starting up Ubuntu, it should say 'Starting GRUB, to exit hit Escape (or some other key) 1... 2.... ,etc.'

You'll have to be quick with hitting escape or whatever key it says for you. It will then bring you to a list of kernel images, and you can choose which to boot into. As I said before, it probably won't recognize Windows right off of the bat, however I don't know.

And remember, GRUB was made for UNIX-like Operating Systems, so it may be buggy with Windows.