Computer hard drive loaded up??? No way!

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by craigstephen420, Sep 15, 2008.

1. craigstephen420

craigstephen420 New Member

Hey guys/gals, I have a HP Pavillion slimline (i know, piece of crap) with 150gb internal hard drive. Its telling me its completely filled up. I know this is BS because I put all my media on an external hard drive (WD Mybook). The only things I have on my computer is my music (60gb), Flight simulator X, and the other normal applications (works, itunes etc.). WTF is going on here? Has anyone experienced this? I ran through my program files and theres mabey 15gb worth of stuff there. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    How big is your iTunes music folder?
  3. craigstephen420

26.65gb. I looked in my "all programs" in "start menu", and it says itunes(4). Even if that was true, Itunes isn't that big even if I had 4 of them on my computer to take up all that room is it? And no, I don't know why it has a (4) in front of my itunes icon.
  4. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Strange.. I would've though it was iTunes that would take up the most space. Since it has nearly all Media for most of it's iPod/iPhone users.

Do you have any Temp directories that some of your Apps may use?

On OS X, we have an app called "Grand Perspective" that shows, graphically, what is taking up the most space on your hard drive http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

I'm trying to look for the same for Windows right now for you. EDIT: Found it here: http://ogasawalrus.com/blog/node/326
  5. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i tend to loose track of what i have on my PC from time to time. I often have about 10GB of data that i dont need. Programs like to hide stuff in unexpected places. Make sure there arent tons of cached internet video files, or if you converted any movies,music or stuff go looking around for that. Other then that there isnt much anyone can help you with without actually looking at the PC.
  6. craigstephen420

Where do you suggest to look? I've been looking around for a few hours now and can't find anything. The ONLY thing I have on my computer is the standard program files. I've deleted alot of stuff I didn't need, but its not enough. I mean I only have 10gb left on a 150gb hard drive with nothing on it? Something is screwy.
  7. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Did you try the App I suggested? What did it show up as taking up the most space or taking up a lot of space?
  8. jehrot

jehrot New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Check your Windows folder. I found 30 gigs of useless installer info in the system dir Installer. There's a cleaner on the Microsoft site. Failing that, System Restore Points mayhaps? They get pretty big.
  9. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i agree, try looking around in the automated windows folders. Check your mydocs,my music, my video areas. Sometimes windows likes to hide stuff there. On my old media center edition i had tons of saved shows that i forgot about cluttering up a ton of space.
    Also, is all your music in the itunes folder or is some else were. If iTunes reformatted any of it you will have duplicate files. One in your origional location and one in the itunes folder.

If you have an external like you said and it has any of that dumb backup software, make sure thats not duplicating files on your pc.

If you use any p2p,******* or similar services, make sure to look through the designated download folder for files you may have forgotten to move or delete. Any zipped or similarly compressed files/folders can be taking double space if you have the files along with the original compressed folder.

Also consider this. 150GB - formatting - windows install = about 135bg, maybe.
    then think about the simple files of programs, and music.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    If your gonna go through the WINDOWS folder make sure you sue the microsoft cleaner stuff. Dont go deleting anything from there unless you know 100% what it is.
  10. cainy

cainy New Member

try running disk clean up, basically right click on the dirve go to properties and click disk clean up, tick all the boxes, then click more options and where it says system restore click clean up, once done hit ok, if your on vista, which the last slimline HP i fixed was on it should free up about 20-30gb