Computer advice

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by _JKK_, Oct 24, 2009.

1. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Hey guys. I have this funny feeling that my trusty netbook is going to reah the end of it's life soon... So I'd like to have at least some idea of a computer to buy.

I had originally planned on getting a a MacBook, but after testing the Windows 7 RTM for about a month, I'm happy with Windows 7. So, I'd like some advice on a new laptop. First, brand doesn't really matter, as long as it isn't some unknown company on the fringes of the universe. Price does matter, pretty low. $500 to $1000 US dollars please. I'd like the best processor I cam get for that price (obviously) but nothing too much (I have a top of the line desktop for games, etc...).

Also, does anyone think that the netbook form factor will remain, while the internals are upgraded? The netbook form factor is my favorite, and the HP Mini 311 is very nice, but that Atom processor just isn't my type anymore. ION graphics are good, but come on! With the release of Windows 7, does that open it up to a better processor?

Thanks for any and all advice!
  2. W00DI

W00DI New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Macbook Pro 13"
    Bootcamp Windows 7
    It's God!!!
  3. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Don't forget a 30" cinema display, and an external keyboard + mouse.

That would be God.
  4. W00DI

W00DI New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Im getting a 30" for my bday

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Led

Led Banned

Can you be anymore specific? What are you going to use it for, any specs you want?
  6. berky93

berky93 New Member

hp laptop. I've had my tx2500z for a year and a half now, and even dropped it off a couch on accident (1-2 feet) and it still not only survives, but runs well enough to handle most of my complex 3d renderings.
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I've been looking at this one pretty heavily... It has the power I need (web browsing, Word, some light photo editing, plus Ubuntu), a decent graphics card, and it looks good. Its the exact size I wanted, and the price is pretty good.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Ultra-Portable&series_name=dm3z_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/Ultra-Portable/dm3z_series