Completely Non-responsive iTouch 2G; Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mike7143, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Mike7143

Mike7143 New Member

My brother gave me his old ipod touch 2nd generation. He said it's "bricked" and that a guy an big electronics store told him he needed a new one. The touch has no water damage and suffered no severe death. It simply stopped working one day. It won't turn on at all. When plugged into the computer, Windows will not even recognize it was plugged in (no bloop-bloop sound), nor will iTunes recognize it. Plugging it into a wall charged provided no further success. I currently have it taken apart...

With the battery still soldered to the main board, I initially only measured with a multimeter 0.025volts across the far right and left contacts. I plugged it into the wall charger and still measured 0.026volts. It's been sitting for about 10 minutes and now measuring across the two contacts yields 2.58volts.

Is the battery trashed and in need of replacement? Can you advise on what could be the problem with the itouch? Has anyone heard of this or experienced it themselves?

Thanks!

An update on the bricked iTouch: the battery seems to not be functioning properly. I've been tracking voltage for a while and here's what it's been doing.

Initial voltage (hadn't been charged in last 24 hours) - 0.025 volts
    Plugged into wall-charger and left for ~10 minutes - 2.58 volts
    Unplugged it - 2.573 volts
    Plugged into portable laptop running on battery for ~1 hour - 2.542 volts
    Unplugged from laptop and sat with no charging for 45 mins - 2.4898 volts
    Went to bed at 12:35 am and iTouch unplugged - 2.439 volts
    Woke up at 9:05 am - 0.021 volts

Clearly the battery shouldn't be dropping 2.418 volts in 8.5 hours with no use.
    With that stated, after initially charging the iTouch back up to about 2.5 volts when I first was messing with it, I re-assembled it (correctly!) and it still would not turn on. I've tried the soft? reset (home and pwr buttons for 10 sec), the hard/DRU? (pwr switch for 10 then home for 30 or whatever that combo was), some weird button sequence I found on another forum (pwr for 2, pwr+home for 10, home for 30) and none of them have had any effect. I installed iTunes just in case and got nothing. It doesn't show up in device manager at all. One interesting thing I noticed is that when I have it plugged into the computer and I do the reset combos on the iTouch, my windows 7 cursor will pop up the blue ring like it's working on something for a split second right when I would expect the iTouch to reset like normal. Nothing happens however and I just get frustrated.

I'd like to hear any ideas or suggestions other members may have who are a lot more experienced with the iTouch or any Apple products for that matter! Thanks!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I also just discovered something else odd. With the ear buds plugged in half way AND the iTouch plugged into the computer, I get a rapid clicking sound in the buds. Plugging the buds in all the way gets rid of the clicking sound AND unplugging the iTouch from the computer (buds still 1/2 plugged in) makes the clicking sound stop. What gives?! I don't think there should be a clicking sound, ever.
    ------------------double post merged------------------

Also, more details of how how it stopped working: iTouch was playing (using a tape adapter in a car cassette player) when then music suddenly stopped. Brother picked it up, screen was all white, then faded black, and that was the end of it.
  2. brandon112233

brandon112233 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If its bricked try going into DFU mode while its plugged in to a power source?
  3. Mike7143

Mike7143 New Member

I've tried multiple times to get into DFU mode, both unplugged, plugged into the PC, and plugged into the wall charger. I have yet to get any kind of response from the iTouch. Can someone tell me if the iTouch works without the front digitizer connected? Then at least I can have it taken apart and possibly supply 3 volts to it since I think the battery may be shot. Or perhaps another question; even if my battery is shot, would the wall-charger power it on if it DID work?
  4. ItsAirWick

ItsAirWick Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I would just replace the whole entire inside of the iPod Touch, A.K.A. Trash this one, get a new one.
    But before you do that, Take it to the Apple Store's Genius Bar. (remember to schedule an appointment!)
    Maybe they can tell you a thing or two, If they can't get you a replacement iPod Touch.
  5. Mike7143

Mike7143 New Member

Can someone tell me if the internal battery is "required" for the itouch to work? Can I still effectively troubleshoot without a battery installed and just plug it in?

Otherwise, I already removed the battery and I don't think the people at the genius bar are going to help out at this point... Sounds like its totally bricked? I wonder what happened to it?!
  6. Communati0n

Communati0n New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    if uve alredy taken it apart ur screwed. get a new one
  7. Gims

Gims New Member

Mike! I Have The EXACT SAME Problem! And What More Crazy Is My Name Is Mike!

I Have A Ipod Touch 3g And I Wont Charge Or Go Into DFU Mode Or Recovery Infact It Wont Charge Or Turn On Or Absolutely Anything. I Have Only Found One Person WITH The Same Problem And It's Mike Here.

Listen Mike I Thought It Might Have Been The Flash Chip I Was Thinking Of Getting One On Ebay And Soldering It But It Could Also Be The Battery.

Tell Me If You Find A Solution And I'll Get Back At You If I Find A Solution As Well Man.
  8. Mike7143

Mike7143 New Member

Well, I've made progress, however it's not helpful.
    You can read what I've done so far here: LINK

I'm thinking it's the flash chip as well which unfortunately can't really be replaced. It's looking like its trashed.
  9. ipitouchy

ipitouchy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Was it jailbroken? If not, then Apple may replace it.
  10. patpond

patpond New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you weren't there when it got f00ked, you can't be 100% sure what happened.

It may have slipped while driving and got bumped. That said, it sounds like a big mess, and I'd scrap it. Keep the other parts and maybe buy one off eBay that can be recognized by iTunes, but has a broken screen or something. Then swap parts.