(COMPLETE REVIEW) Rolando

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by nclaxmiddy11, Dec 29, 2008.

1. nclaxmiddy11

nclaxmiddy11 Active Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

Okay I know I am writing this review a little late, but I think I have to after all the "Should I buy Rolando?" threads. A quick answer to this is YES.

~Background~

Rolando is a game designed specifically for iPhones/iPod Touches and is only available on the iTunes App Store for $9.99. After some hold offs the game was finally released on December 18th 2008. Hand Circus produced the game and ngmoco

published it. The art is by Mikko Walamies and the music in the game is by Mr. Scruff.

~The Game~

In Rolando you, Finger, enter into Rolandoland where you have to battle to save the sages. But must overcome the shadow creatures which are taking over all of the land. Heroes will rise, villains will fight, and a kingdom will be saved.

There are 4 worlds (Honeycup Meadows, Fire Canyon, Rolando Central, and Shadow Valley) with a total of 36 engaging levels to be beaten. You must take your Rolandos through many difficult levels were you lift, twist, and draw the get through them. You also need to nudge bombs/royalty, bounce on trampolines, and fly by catapults. You can tap to select one Rolando, draw a box to select multiple Rolandos, swipe up to jump, and swipe with two fingers to view the level. This is what makes the game a must buy. It utilizes the iPhone's unique features in a way that I think no other game has. Other key features of the game play include the different Rolandos like Royal Spikey Commando and The Prince. Royal Spikey is a gear-like Rolando that grabs on to anything he touches whereas The Prince moves to his own beat unless you stop him using other Rolandos. This puts a little twist on the game play because sometimes you need a Rolando that can do something other Rolandos can not.

Overall 10/10

~Artwork~

As stated before all of the graphics were made by pop illustrator Mikko Walamies. I believe the graphics in this game are better than any other game on the iPhone. Why you may ask... because the game uses sharp 2d graphics that are beautiful with vivid colors. And if it were to use 3d graphics the frame rate would decrease plus it would take away from the cute, cartoonish effect of the Rolandos.

Overall 10/10

~Music~

As stated before the music in the game is by break-beat innovator Mr. Scruff. Tracks included in the game include Shrimp, Donkey Ride, and Stockport Carnival. Mr. Scruff's tunes are perfect for the game as they add a fun, relaxing jazz feel to the game. Be sure to check out his CDs on iTunes.

Overall 9/10

~Other Features~

iSave: With this feature you can quit Rolando, in the middle of a level, and the game will save your spot. It will also tell you in a pop up badge how many active Rolandos you have in your iSave.

Interactive Menu: This is a little feature that is fun once you start entering other worlds. When you start your game you can play with all the Rolando characters you have unlocked so far by tilting and grabing to move them around.

3d Story Book Rolandoland: This is a cool feature that allows you to move from level to level. But the interesting part of it is how it almost looks holographic as it pops off the screen. As you move the book the shadows of objects move with you which makes it extremely realistic.

~Summary~

I believe that Rolando is a MUST BUY for any iPhone/iPod Touch owner. Its amazing utilization of the iPhone's accelerometer and touch screen make it a one of a kind game. Basically, in simpler terms, if you don't buy this game then you are crazy.

~Total Overall~
    10/10

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
  3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Nice review man. This will probably convince people to buy this game as opposed to another. Nice review.
  4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    you're right.
    Now i actually might get the game a few days earlyer than i planed

Very good Review.
    Go on like that (With making so good Reviews

).
  5. lszanto

lszanto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice review, a good read. Although I was severly disappointed with the game for the price that it is.
  6. nclaxmiddy11

nclaxmiddy11 Active Member

Thanks guys I hope this helps you make a decision.
  7. Aramyth

Aramyth New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    How come?
  8. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Rolando is good and never laggy but suprisingly I got very bored with it

9. Otisbum

Otisbum New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice job. I'll probably wait for sale though.
  10. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Great review, and agree, a must buy.
    L-O-V-E this game.