Complete noob questions: iphone w/out plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arikado, Mar 14, 2009.

1. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay so I have an iPod touch 2g, and a krzr in a fido plan.
    but I want an iphone because i dont want to carry 2 devices.

My questions are:

1) Where can i get/buy an iphone 3g without it's at&t contract/plan- So that i can use my fido sim card instead? (Unlock, right..?)

2) Is the above even possible? Please explain
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

ebay would probably be the best / easiest place to get a 3G but you might be able to find it somewhere else.

Assuming Fido is a GSM carrier then yes the 3G (assuming it is unlocked) iPhone will work with your SIM card.
  3. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Another noob question:

Whats a GSM carrier?

Thanks.

Edit: Oh a few more.

1) My KRZR says it has an EDGE network when im in browser. If i want to use internet on the iphone 3g with my fido sim card, and i activate wi-fi, will fido charge me anything if i just use wi-fi?

2) If i text through the iphone, make calls; it would be the same as on my KRZR, right? Would fido be able to detect that I'm using iphone instead of the planned KRZR? will they be any consequences?
  4. Confucious

Confucious New Member

1) How do you intend stopping your iPhone connecting over 3G/Edge/GPRS? Your own Wifi is free other WiFi may or may not be but your iPhone will use cellular data when out of WiFi range. If you don't have an unlimited data plan this will be expensive.

2) No

Fido is now part of Rogers. Fido use GSM 1900 and Rogers use GSM 850/1900 so no problem on the GSM side.

3G/ HSDPA - I believe Rogers/Fido use both 850 and 2100 - I am not sure if it is different in different areas or if both are supported throughout Canada. You would have to ask Fido as the iPhone 3G only supports 2100Mhz
  5. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for the answers; Wow, this is really really confusing =|

@1) It shows EDGE on my phone when i enter browser, but i can't actually go on the internet- meaning i dont have the internet capability in my fido plan. Does this mean i could just simply use the iPhone's wifi without being charged on anything?

@2) What is GSM? Could someone clarify if my Fido sim card would work in an iphone or not? I don't understand.
  6. royalblue

royalblue Banned

Device:
    iPhone

1: As long as you are connected to wifi you will be fine

2: any sim card will work in an iPhone regardless as long as the device has been unlocked
  7. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for the quick and straightforward answers=)

Now i am going to look for an iPhone 3g somehow......

Last question:
    -Making calls, text messaging, and etc on the iPhone (with my fido sim card) would be the same as if I were using my KRZR, correct? As in, I will not get charged extra for using txt messaging (it costs 15 cents when i txt, it should cost 15 cents if i txt with iPhone right?)?
  8. RedNeckBoy1992

RedNeckBoy1992 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    ok soo what you guys are saying is that when my phone connects to the internet i ahve tmobile once i connect to the internet it will cost me a lot of money is that what your saying? im lost
  9. royalblue

royalblue Banned

Device:
    iPhone
    - Your welcome =]
    -You can find them on ebay for anywhere from 450-650 depending on condition and color/size
    -Absolutely. The iPhone is just like any other phone when it comes to SMS and calls. The data should cost the same as well
  10. RedNeckBoy1992

RedNeckBoy1992 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    ok so on tmobile in my plan i have the sidekick unlimited i wont get charged for the internet and stuff or will i? or i can get 100 mb of web access and messageing so im lost what can i do?