complete newbie needing help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by owfx, Dec 23, 2007.

1. owfx

owfx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey im hopefully getting an ipod touch for christmas and I would like to hack it, or jailbreak it as it's called. Iv'e already been hacking psps and ive made some themes as well as created a hac between the psp and ps3.

i have a few q's about the ipod touch:

after the touch has been jailbreaked, can i still use it on itunes to update my music? or does it unto the whole jailbreak routine?

what are the best apps/ games available

is the jailbreaking worth it?

thanks, i understand youve hear these questions many times, but i cant seem to find a strong answer when searching :S

owfx
  2. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    u can use iTunes like u want. it thinks u have a normal iPoT.
    best games/apps? search. there is a thread where everybody post their top ten.
    jalbreaking IS worth it. if u don't jailbreak, u will not have games, downloader, apps that help u with ur homework and so on...

yeah.. searching requires a lot of time. but please don't make such noob threads like other members did (or will do in the near future...) searching is a nice feature.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Joseph

Joseph Retired Moderator

.Yes you can still sync perfectly in iTunes
    .I'd say iPhysics is one of the best apps out there
    .Of course, and If you regret jailbreak (which I doubt) you can restore back to default.

Happy Holidays.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Nope, your Touch functions as normal within iTunes. Just remember that when you update to a new firmware when it's released you will have to re-jailbreak it (when the jailbreak becomes available), and you will have to reinstall all your apps.

My personal favourites:

Apps:
    - The iPhone apps, of course (weather, notes, maps, mail)
    - Customize - Lets you customize just about any aspect of your Touch
    - Finder - Great file manager.
    - Photoboard - Still beta and doesn't do much yet, but it's shaping up to become an iPod Touch version of Microsoft Surface for picture viewing. Very cool.
    - Apollo - Great IM application
    - Sketches - Cool little doodling app. You can import pictures from your photo library and sketch on 'em, save 'em, whatever.
    - Screenshot - Although some have complained that it has screwed up their iPod, I've had no problem with it. This lets you take screenshots from within any app. (You will need WinSCP and OpenSSH to retrieve them)

Essential Apps You Need:
    - BSD Subsystem. Needed for a number of apps.
    - Summerboard - Themes, enhanced launcher, the works. Great app, really needed for managing themes and having a nice home screen.
    - OpenSSH - Required to connect to your Touch through WinSCP

Games:
    - iPhysics. Just ... awesome. An ever-expanding physics game much like Crayon Physics, but now with even more features which will soon allow the creation of pinball, hockey, and Incredible Machine style games. Be sure to locate and add r4m0n's iPhysics source in Installer to download tons of great level packs, like -- oh, I dunno, Newton as a Child.

- gpSPhone - Game Boy Advance emulator. Very cool. Still beta, but highly functional.
    - NES.app - NES emulator. Works great.
    - PSX4All - Playstation emulator. Still very beta and very slow, but it already works pretty well.
    - Frotz - Infocom text adventure interpreter. You remember Zork, right?

- Mines - Minesweeper for Touch. Fun time waster.
    - iBlackjack - Great blackjack game. Now if the author would finally impliment splitting, it'd be perfect.
    - iSoltaire - Still beta, but a great Klondike solitaire game.
    - Sand - Fun toy where you get to play with sand and various other substances.

Absolutely. You increase the functionality of your Touch hundredfold once it si jailbroken, and since most apps and games are free -- well, there's really no downside.

A few tips:

Locate and read ALL tutorials. There are some extremely useful (in some cases necessary) tips and tricks to getting your jailbroken Touch to work at optimal performance. Start with this thread for a large list of various tutorials and guides. That should give you a very good handle on things.

Also, remember to search this board before you ask a question here. This is a very active community, and the chances are good there are already answers to most of the questions you might ask here.
  5. AnotherFan

AnotherFan New Member

Yeah, I know what you mean..

You don't want to buy a fresh $300-$400 iPod and totally screw it up in less than 2 minutes after opening it on Christmas right? I got mine a couple weeks ago and felt the exact same way.

Is it really worth it? Are these little apps worth the $300 risk? Yes. Definitely.

I am NOT liable for anything that happens to your iPod, but from what I've heard, (and I been all over researching this, youtube, ipodtouchfans, ipodtouchhacks, touchdev, wikipedia and of course, google) no one has truely bricked their iPod. Yeah, a lot of people scream out saying OMG my iPod's DEAD!! People exaggerate to get more viewers, and I, myself, ran into a couple small snags when installing different apps, but that just took me a couple more tries at it. Just plug it back into iTunes and click the Restore button. Presto! Back to Normal.

I have only been toying around with my iPod for a week or so, but all my applications have been running smoothly and my iTunes has been syncing with my iPod no problems.

So far I have been running Sketches, NES, iPhysics and MobileFinder. And the obvious SSH, SMBPrefs and Customize. You'll understand after you jailbreak it.

By the way, I used a Mac-only tutorial off of YouTube. If you're using a PC, search around on YouTube, there are a variety of other ones too.
  6. AnotherFan

AnotherFan New Member

One more thing, as mentioned by Mindfield, read ALL THE TUTORIALS. Or as many as you can.

It's always better to have a deeper perspective on these things. YouTube is a great resource too, they give step by step instructions along with video footage and screenshots.
  7. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    And no one will do, because of easy "Force to Restore". Ok, somebody could brick it... but as far as we know... U can restore it anytime.
  8. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes, since the force restore is hard-wired into the ipod, and is not dependent on a working iPod, it will never let you down.
  9. owfx

owfx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    thanks guys i know how its like with people starting threads witout searching

it happens in psp forums. if i need anyumore things, ill search first

merry xmas
  10. Vision_Again

Vision_Again New Member

Device:
    iPad
    if u just search u could find most of this out