compiled version of cron ?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by DavyCrockett, May 5, 2009.

1. DavyCrockett

DavyCrockett New Member

Hi,
    I am looking for a compiled version of cron to run on my ipod.

The idea is to download automatically audio files in order to listen them offline later. For example download the news at 7:30 am and listen to it on my way to work.

I think I could write a bash script to do this, install it on the crontab like I do on a linux box.
    In order to work I have to make sure that
    1) cron runs even when the ipod is sleeping which I don't know.
    2) the ipod is connected to the network (is there some kind of ifup wlan0 ?)

of course i can do the download part on my computer and then rsync to my ipod but that would involve some manual intervention and i would like the process to be automatic.
  2. Qwertman

Qwertman New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Keep in touch

Hey, I've just started a similar project so let me know if you get something figured out! I want to make a cron for rsync.
  3. sangahm

sangahm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I'm looking for something similar that will update RSS feeds, podcasts, and newspapers while I'm sleeping so I can read during the day when I'm not around a wifi hotspot on my itouch. Are there other similar utilities?
  4. ipod4g3L33t

ipod4g3L33t New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sorry for the threadjack, but I'm thinking along the same lines as well -- using "rsync" and cron to backup my stuff to an ubuntu server. However I'm missing "rsync" in /usr/bin for some reason on my ipod touch 4g. Has anyone figured this out yet?
  5. mvmacd

mvmacd Member

@ipod4g3L33t, You can install "rsync" from Cydia. It's a console package. So you'll prolly have to change the "Settings" [top left hand corner, in the "Manage" page] to "Hacker" for it to show up in search since it is a console only package.

Then again, maybe not, I don't know, because I chose "Hacker" when it initially asked me what to chose [or "user" (apps, tweaks & themes), "hacker" (adds command line), or "developer" (everything)]. If you don't want to change the settings, you might try SSH'ing, then:
    # apt-get install rsync
    but I have no clue if that'd work without changing the settings

@DavyCrockett, I found this thread by searching "ipod touch crontab" on google, your thread was the first result. I realize this was a long time ago, and you might have already found a solution, but if not:

Do you have a linux box at home (where your iPod will be connected to the internet and a local network at 7:30 when you want to download news)?? If you do, then I'd suggest writing that BASH script, put it in your crontab, only, at the end of the BASH script, tell it to scp the file to your iPod. You should definitely copy your public key to your iPod's authorized_keys, if you haven't already. Otherwise, the script would hang at the end waiting for user input.

This should work on ubuntu:
    Code:
    # ssh-copy-id root@192.168.X.X
    then enter your password

and that should be it. then at the end of your script:

Code:
    scp $downloadedfile root@192.168.X.X:/User/news/

However, if your iPod's IP changed, you would have to update the IP address periodically... Maybe you could set the DHCP release for a longer time, like a week?

Please Register or Log in to view images