Compass

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by 6ironmaiden9, Nov 2, 2007.

1. 6ironmaiden9

6ironmaiden9 New Member

Not sure if this has been said before or has even been developed but a compass would be cool on the ipod touch using its acceleramoter - didnt spell that right.. And i was going to just take the arrow from the app that tells you the acc's "Accelleramoter" pressue sensor app that tells has the arrow and shows you what place the accs at and i was going to just throw a compass interface on that but i figure i'd see if yall wanted to make one
  2. OuhPinaize

OuhPinaize New Member

I think it can't be possible.
    Accelerometer can know where is the 'up' and where is the 'down' regarding its 3 axes, but it's not enough to guess anything about the magnetic North heading.

Maybe I'm far from your 'compass' definition, because english is not my natural language.

Otherwise, I was thinking of a ... I don't know the word in English, here is a picture :

Please Register or Log in to view images

Wouldn't it be nice in our Touch ??
  3. humbert

humbert New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't think this would work... considering the fact that the iPod just detects movements, and has no way to know which direction is north. You'd have to set the program to know which direction is north, then have to keep it running somehow all the time... plus if you tilted the ipod vertically and started moving it around that would mess it up. Seems like there's no way to make a compass to me.

EDIT: OuhPinaize beat me to it

4. n88n

n88n New Member

Just to help a brother out... We call those things a "level". As in a tool to help make things level or flat.
  5. OuhPinaize

OuhPinaize New Member

OK thank you !!

so it's like the french word : "niveau" = "level"... great !!
    More precisely "niveau à bulle" so "bubble level" ??

6. n88n

n88n New Member

Good work bro, your english is amazing. I wish my spanish was as strong as your english.
  7. flash84x

flash84x New Member

a virtual level would actually be kinda of nice, ive been in situations where i need to make something level and i didnt have one.... but i always carry my touch so id have that in a crunch
  8. Optical1

Optical1 New Member

In Britain we refer to that as a spirit level.