Compass...Maybe

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by darkfox_09, Dec 18, 2007.

1. darkfox_09

darkfox_09 New Member

I was thinking could the iPod Touchs excel (Blah Blah) meter provide a decent enough compass, the reason is i do a lot of walking and it could lighten the load, with me already having a flashlight and emergency beacon why not have a three in one walk assistant... Just a thought....
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Umm.. How would it know north?
  3. Paintball

Paintball New Member

The accelerameter cant tell which way is north. Its sort of an electronic version of a bubble level.
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

that's what I was thinking. the only thing close to that is level, but that's not anywhere near a compass.
  5. darkfox_09

darkfox_09 New Member

couldnt you some how create a little code where it knows where the north is from the position of the sun, so if you live in paris the sun would be in a different postion and you then can repoduce the way north on the touch.

if you have a menu where you can set up the location so that the touch knows where you are, and then with the time and the location known by the touch you could mirror the location of the sun or moon to mach the location the touch to give a reading on the wareabouts of north.

have a circle on the screen with N,S,E,W on the top bottom left and right. When the touch does the calcualtions a picture of the sun and moon will appear, just match the location of the sun/moon to the touch and then you would have a idea where north is.
  6. Paintball

Paintball New Member

How would your ipod know the direction the sun is in? Would you put it into it?
  7. ./^\.ACE./^\.

./^\.ACE./^\. Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    There would have to be a magnetic north detection moddual added to the iPod...
    They make such chips for hobby robots so I don't see why someone couldn't make something to connect it with the iPod threw the dock connecter...
  8. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

This brings back good memories at iPodLinux...

http://www.qcontinuum.org/compass/index.htm

If you know the location of the sun in the sky, your Time Zone, and what date & time it is your cell phone can do the math. Your iPoT can tell you to face it flat and point the top towards the sun. With your time zone you can get a somewhat precise measurement of what direction North is, but not perfect. It would be even better on iPhones, since they constantly are getting the right time and date info from AT&T.

This is very possible and can definitely come in handy for a friend of mine who might jailbreak his iPhone. He does a lot of travel in the wilderness too, so it'd be perfect for him

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. darkfox_09

darkfox_09 New Member

the information could be updated via the installer, so the information that you require the touch can get

time, 10.00
    location. paris

so 10.00 in paris the sun would be at a certain hight, the calcualtions would already be got when you gain the inforamtion from the installer. We already know the angle of degrees of the sun at a certain time anyway, all we need to do is place that information into a file that the touch can use.
  10. jango271

jango271 Banned

I think this idea is possible. It could just take the info from the world time app. Also it would be helpful if you dont have an internet connection for google maps and need to find out where your going the old fashion way.