[COMPARISON REVIEW] iCopter Clones

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by epnfatbdy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. epnfatbdy

epnfatbdy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    BATTLE OF THE ICOPTER CLONES​

There are two games that are currently the only iCopter clones in the App Store, and they are two decent remakes of this game (and the classic Helicopter game on the computer). Let's look at the match ups:

Space Wormy:
    Description: A worm game where you are a worm in a cave avoiding obstacles, and collecting apples makes you longer.

CaveCopter:
    Description: A game almost exactly like iCopter, just with more neon-like graphics and added features, including levels.

What will be going down in this review?
    Well, we will be judging these apps as follows:

1. Interface
    2. Controls
    3. Utilization of Device's Capabilities
    4. Addictiveness
    5. Sound
    6. Power-Ups
    8. Landscape vs. Portrait
    7. Price

Each category will be rated out of 5. The final tally will be out of 40.

First, let's get some screenies out there:

Lets start off with the Space Wormy:

sw_homescreen.JPG
    sw_gameplay.JPG
    sw_death.JPG

And then CaveCopter:

cc_startscreen.JPG cc_gameplay.JPG
    cc_gameover.JPG

Now Let's get ready to compare!!!

1. Interface

Space Wormy:
    Space Wormy's start screen interface is quite simple, but as the high scores begin to rack up, it gets clustered. The game itself has poor graphics, and too much of the screen is taken up by a boring rock like substance, instead of actual gaming.

CaveCopter:
    Again, CaveCopter's interface is very simple. The start screen is a more sleek version of the jailbroken iCopter app. Then, the game itself, instead of taken up by simple green space, with green walls, the game is a rigid neon boundary. This is a love it or hate it kind of thing. I personally like it, because it gives it a little more of a sleek look. But there are no obstacles in the middle of the cave...a major con until the 4th level.

Space Wormy: 2/5
    CaveCopter: 3/5

2. Controls

Space Wormy:
    Space Wormy's controls don't save this game too much, but at least it's playable. The major con is it isn't sensitive enough, which isn't said often. When you tap on the screen, it will be keep going down and making a wide lift, meaning you can't really duck under smaller areas like iCopter. The one thing that makes this game a little more fun is eating the apples, which will make you bigger. It's an odd sort of fun.

CaveCopter:
    The controls aren't up to par, in fact, they are sub-par. Unlike it's opponent, the controls are too sensitive, and you shoot up a lot faster when tapping the screen, it definately requires getting used to. This isn't really noticeable until the later levels, when the screen gets smaller. Then, you get frustrated because you are used to iCopter.

Space Wormy: 1/5
    CaveCopter: 2/5

3. Utilization of Device's Capabilities:

SpaceWormy:
    SpaceWormy attempts to use the accelerometer, but when you tilt, it doesn't do anything, it kind of just changes your view of the screen to a diagonal view, and when moved to landscape, your wor is moving up, but in a weird sense...it's hard to explain...just get rid of it.

CaveCopter:

CaveCopter uses the accelerometer very well. It is how you gain or lose speed. You are always moving at a constanst speed, but when you tilt to the left, your copter speeds up, and when you tilt back, it slows down. It provides an extra challenge.

SpaceWormy: 1/5
    CaveCopter: 5/5

4. Addictiveness:

SpaceWormy:
    With all of these games flaws, it is useless, right?...WRONG!...even though everything about this game is bad, it somehow keeps you coming back for more. Collecting those apples, and trying to get as long as possible has something to do with it

Please Register or Log in to view images

CaveCopter:
    This is almost just as addictiving as the original...enough said...

SpaceWormy: 4/5
    CaveCopter: 4/5

5. Sound:

SpaceWormy:
    This saves this game, because it has cute sounds, the worm lets out a yelp of joy when you start, and everytime you get an apple, it makes a noise like the classic snake game on windows.

CaveCopter:
    At first, I thought i was a fan of the sounds, but they get annoying. The sound is like Chopper ($7.99 on App Store). It's a continous helicopter sound, and everytime you collect a coin, it makes the sound of a stick hitting a can...definately muting this one.

SpaceWormy: 4/5
    CaveCopter: 1/5

6. Power-Ups:

SpaceWormy:
    It's been said before...Apples make you longer...A Little Boring...

CaveCopter: (Credit to MiniMacLean)
    When you collect the coins, you get 10 points. I am not a fan of this, because with the classic iCopter you would compete against yourself and friends for the best score. This was a dry score, you couldn't beat someone simply by getting more power-ups than them. I would prefer to see this as a dry score.

SpaceWormy: 3/5
    CaveCopter: 3/5

7. Landscape vs Portrait:

SpaceWormy (Portrait):
    Spacewormy is played in portrait mode, a major flaw in my opinion. It makes gameplay odd and uncomfortable. This one needs landscape mode!!!

CaveCopter:
    CaveCopter is in landscape...PERFECT!!!

SpaceWormy: 2/5
    CaveCopter: 5/5

8. Price:

SpaceWormy: $1.99
    Not bad, but not worth it at the same time. You look at other $1.99 games, and there aren't too many good ones, so I'd say make this your final purchase if all you have is $1.99 in your account and have already bought CaveCopter :-])

CaveCopter: $0.99
    This is like the same thing as Space Wormy. Both of these games should be free, until some better things are added, but I like the price on this one, I think it is worth it if yo are going to charge.

SpaceWormy: 2/5
    CaveCopter: 4/5

Final Score:
    SpaceWormy: 19/40
    CaveCopter: 27/40

Closing Statements: CaveCopter is the one to go with, but if you have a lot of green, I would buy both titles and see for yourself. I think if your looking for something different, then SpaceWormy just might be for you, but if you want to stay true to Helicopter and iCopter, CaveCopter is the best you can get right now.

Note: This took me 4 days to write, I have other things to do, so I sat down and kept writing whenever I had a chance. Because of this, there is a pretty good chance I may of contradicted myself. If this is the case, I apologize, and if you post about it I will change it.
  2. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wow, Very nice comparison review you have here
  3. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    wow. very comprehensive.

cave copter looks WAY better

4. bob12345333

bob12345333 New Member

thats a realy good review i would pick cave copter... but i think none of those too are as good as icopter
  5. Jharrelson140

Jharrelson140 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice review
    I would also chose CaveCopter
  6. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Yeah I'd get CaveCopter. But I'm getting neither

Waiting for iCopter to be ported

I'm hopeful
  7. Jharrelson140

Jharrelson140 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, I had CaveCopter for a few days, then got bored of it. Not as good as the real iCopter.
  8. evanmrules

evanmrules New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wow, good job. tha was a very nice thought out review, you covered everything possible

9. Dave C

Dave C New Member

Great detailed review!
    They both look like garbage though! hehe
  10. DotSlashSlash

DotSlashSlash Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    i disagree on this claimed fact because the orange dots gives you 10 extra points (i think) to your score and i know this because try it yourself, if you play up to one level with missing all the dots you can get to as low as 100 points however when i have collected as many dots as i can you can get up to 550 (probably more) at the end of the first level.

i think you should change because i dont think it should be marked down for something it actually does