[Comparison] JaaduVNC vs. MochaVNC

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by daconcerror, May 24, 2009.

1. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok I thought I’d write a review thread on MochaVNC and JaaduVNC because I realise that most people don't want to spend £15 on JaaduVNC and then realise that they don't really like it. Or on the opposite end of the scale, some people don't want to spend £3.49 on an app that doesn't do what they actually want it to do and then have to pay another £14.99 on JaaduVNC.

So ill quickly summarize both of the apps:

JaaduVNC is the more expensive of the two apps, the reason for its cost is that it includes a lot more features than its competitor, it includes, shortcuts to the functions that you need on an everyday basis. It has a very easy interface and has a function that automatically detects nearby connections and configures them to work so you don't have to do anything apart from input your password. With support for Mac, Windows, and Linux it can work for almost everyone, in terms of the computer setup, there is only two programs that are needed and the one program will automatically port forward for you and so you don't need to deal with all of that hassle. It works with extremely high resolution screen and has been tested on screens up to 5120 x 1600.

MochaVNC is the cheaper app but with the cheaper price you are losing some of the functions that you would get with JaaduVNC, the features it includes are,8 and 32 bit colour modes, Landscape mode, it has been tested using the most widely used VNC clients like RealVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC on Windows, and Apple Remote Management on Mac OSx. Although, you are missing out on the higher resolution screens because it makes it run EXTREMELY slow. It is missing some of the functions that you would use and the interface isn’t as easy as JaaduVNC.

Easiness to setup:

JaaduVNC is so easy to set up a monkey could do it, all you need it the JaaduVNC connect program and a commonly used VNC client like UltraVNC on Windows or the Apple remote Management which is included in OSx. Then all you need to do is set a password and run JaaduVNC connect and it will port forward for you, it will run in the notification area so you won't even see it running in the background. When you go onto JaaduVNC on your iPod it will automatically find and configure your newly set up connection so all you need to do is input your password and you are done.

MochaVNC has a slightly more complex setup which involves port forwarding. To set up MochaVNC you need to download a commonly used VNC client (UltraVNC for windows or Apple remote Management) and set up your password, you then need to configure your router to allow you to connect which takes a long time if you don't know what you are doing. This one doesn't include a program that needs to run for you to connect which saves your computer processes and might be more useful in the long run.

Comparisons:

Features:
    Jaadu has a lot more features than MochaVNC has

Screen Res:
    Jaadu can handle a much higher screen res

Set up:
    Jaadu has a much easier and faster setup

Speed:
    Jaadu is a lot faster and doesn't need to refresh as much as Mocha

Easiness to use:
    They are both equally easy to use although Jaadu has a nicer interface

Cost:
    Jaadu is a lot more expensive and should only really be bought if it will be used a lot, Mocha is more useful for someone who just wants to try out VNC and see what it does.

Compatibility:
    They are both compatible with Mac, Windows and Linux

Overall rating:

Jaadu= 9/10
    Mocha= 5/10

Just because Jaadu is so much easier than Mocha to use, setup and has a lot more features
  2. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Mocha will work just fine on Linux. The VNC protocol is standard across all platforms, so you can use the stock VNC server on linux with Mocha.
  3. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    kk thanks, ive not had chance to try it with linux but i did have chance to try Jaadu with linux. ill add that in...
  4. Psmth

Psmth New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do these apps use SSL/ Encryption?

I'd be using wifi and I don't want the stolen wifi I'm on or anyone else seeing my passwords or what I'm doing.