Community App [iPod Finder]

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by SkylarEC, Dec 22, 2007.

1. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Please, only thoseb with Skills or Ideas should Respond

I As a community, let's see if we can't just build an app. I am thinking about creating an app that will help people locate their iPods when they are Lost or Stolen. This is what I am Thinking so far. Before I ever try to get started, I want to know if there is interest in creating a community application.

We will need the help of Native iDevice Developers as well as Web Site Coders. I can host the Web Site, or you can, I don't really care, but I do have the Bandwidth.

Application: Missing iPod Locater

Running The Application
    1. Launching Via a LaunchDaemon ensures that the app is running at any time that the iPod is on, making disabling not very likely if the Careless Owner or Thief would turn it off.
    2. The App will also have a GUI that will control settings as well as initial set up.

Web SetUp
    1. The End User will log into a Web Site and register for a free account. This will set up in the DataBase an iPod KEY. The user will be required to enter their Serial Number, and the key will be tied to that number.
    2. The Site will also email the user their KEY, encrypted, of course.

iPod Set Up
    1. The End User will then open up the GUi for our app and will be prompted to enter their User Name and password. Upon receiving the correct information, and verifying the Serial Number, the app will download and encrypt the KEY.
    2. After Initial SetUp, the app will then ask the User if they want to Hide the Settings/SetUp GUI. It is recommended. If 'YES' is selected, the App will modify the N45AP.plist file to automatically hide itself, no relying on Customize or the User's Editing ability.
    3. The End User has nothing left to do except to lose their iPod.

App running.
    1. Every (User Defined Number) of minutes. the App will reach out for the "Emergecy Flag."

Once Lost
    1. The End User logs into the Web Site and requests the Emergency Signal be Sent To The iPod. This sets the Emergency Flag.
    2. The App, once sensing the Energency Flag has been set, begins to triangulate its position in the background. There should be minimal to no interference with the Theif's Usage.

Triangulation
    1. There are aps for the computer that enables the computer to come up with a semi precise location based on WiFi alone. We need to figure out how and have our app do precisely this when the Emergency Flag is set.
    2. The App will upload this information into out DataBase and the locations should be viewable to the End User via Google Maps.
  2. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    Very good thinking this might just work
  3. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    wow very well laid out
    i hope it goes somewhere
  4. nudded

nudded New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    great thinking skylar.
    but dont you think this is a bit to hard to complete?
    My opinion is that we start of with something simpler.
  5. Pyrofer

Pyrofer New Member

Yes, have it report its current IP and any network info each time it goes online EVERYTIME to the website.
    Then it doesnt rely on you telling it anything, you can always go to the site to see.
    It it gets stolen you can report the IP to the police and let them do their job.
  6. miseracord

miseracord New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Saw an idea like this earlier. Would help a lot of people out there.
  7. -=NWO=-Wolve

-=NWO=-Wolve New Member

Its a nice idea but near impossible when it comes down to making it send a location. Personally making it sound an alarm is better and easier to locate it. GL.
  8. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes but this would achieve nothing unless it is in your house. If someone's walking down the street and hears a beep they will pick it up, "oh i just got myself an iPod Touch".
  9. Type56

Type56 New Member

yes it would be quiet interesting.
    but how can the ipod find its location out?
    it has to measure the strength of 3 wifi-spots and calculate its position to the 3 routers? but how can the ipod now where the wifi-spots are located?
  10. nyrhonr88

nyrhonr88 New Member

Good idea. There are a few different sites that do something similar. There are even sites that will send you a sticker that says "Call this person if lost." I've even seen some people laser engrave their address and phone number on it. I personally think that's the best idea if it's lost. If it's stolen, then that's a completely different story.

I really don't know much about this, but could locating it via a WiFi search be made easier if you got the person's Zip Code, then somehow using an algorithm to trace a set distance from that person's house to an area around. Say your zip code is 1111, just set the "Find Distance" to 25 miles.