iOS 4.0 Comex's New Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by studangerous, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    --------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT STATUS
    --- iOS4 JAILBREAK AVAILABLE HERE ---

--------------------------------------------------------

Update July 30th:

@georegehotz is a 'parody account'... hilarious... not. No further updates wil be made to this thread as I'm bored of this nonsense that seems to be perpetuated by some of the devs themselves. #pie

follow @comex, @planetbeing and @musclenerd on twitter for updates on the jailbreak.

Please Register or Log in to view images

This thread is now for discussing comex's incoming jailbreak only. No other iOS4 jailbreaks are in progress.

Update July 27th:

Some comexian translation from the latest batch of tweets:

translation: 'it's still a work in progress'

translation: 'when work is complete it will be released'

translation: 'work in progress, still'

translation: '$#* off and leave me to get on with it'

Update, July 22nd:

@comex has been actively tweeting in the last 24hrs. To summarise, he says there's no ETA still (naturally), that he still has some things to do and could run into some issues but hopes to get the jailbreak out soon, that it may be possible to jailbreak 4.1 with his new tool as long as you have 4.0 or 4.0.1 blobs backed up (presumably using something similar to iH8sn0w's fiirmware mash-up technique seen in the latest sn0wbreeze) and he confirms that GeoHot has a very cool/difficulty exploit of the current firmwares (which he of course won't share) - more on the EgoHot issue below...

I didn't want to add this before but it seems that despite GeoHot 'quitting' the scene he's still can't leave completely... he had previously stated that he has a new bootrom exploit that could potentially pwn4life all devices. This would of course mean that all devices would always be susceptible to a jajilbreak until Apple updates the bootrom in the production process (it's a hardware issue). After GeoHot threw his toys out of the cot recently and quit in a sh1tstorm after posting up what he said were 'fake' jailbreak images, his twitter voice @mikecohenn yesterday tweeted out 'What's a good time to make it ra1n'... the mind boggles (and the blood boils) but is this possibly in reference to a new 'blackra1n' jailbreak by GeoHot in progress? If you stalk back @mikecohenn's tweets there's references to 'jailbreak business meetings'... maybe GeoHot's got something in progress but couldn't handle the flames from the fame he's so fiercely fanned and wanted to lay low, or maybe he's cooking up a new jailbreak to sell and cash in. All pure speculation of course so enough of GeoHot - but I just wanted to update you all on the rumours.

Update, July 21st:

@comex says he will not wait for the public release of iOS4.1 and will release his new 'untethered, userland' jailbreak for compat,ibility with both iOS 4.0 and iOS 4.0.1. This means that ALL iPhone and iPod touch owners should back up SHSH blobs either through Cydia (if jailbroken) and/or using The Firmware Umbrella (if either jailed of jailbroken).

Note that this does NOT mean there is a jailbreak ETA. There IS NO ETA. There NEVER WAS AN ETA and NEVER WILL BE AN ETA. The jailbreak will be out when it is released. Discussion of ETAs is no longer permitted in this thread as it is futile and generally leads to forum unrest.

Update, July 15th:

Sorry, been too busY with real life stuff to update this for a few days. Recent news:

• Still no new jailbreak but iOS4.1b1 was released yesterday. Its doubtful that comex will release anything before the iOS4.1 public release in my view, which is suggested by his tweet yesterday asking for the 4.1b1 vfdecrypt keys... Redsn0w will jailbreak this beta release according to the iPhone Dev-Team. However, unlockers and new boot om devices should not update. If you haven't done so already MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOUR iOS4 SHSH BLOBS as Apple will stop signing it very soon.

• Egomaniac GeoHot couldn't take the heat and chucked a hissy fit a few days ago. He started by rather childishly putting up a fake picture of a jaijbroken iPhone4, then ranted about people bugging him for updates and a release ETA and then promptly deleted his twitter account and made his blog invite only.

Update, July 11th:

GeoHot has shown off an iPhone4 jailbreak on his blog. Presumably this is the tethered jailbreak using a new bootrom exploit that has been mentioned before. He says he 'probably won't' be the one to release it and asks that people not chase him for a release date.

Update, July 9th:

iH8snow has released his sn0wbreeze pwnage prog along with updates to the tools required to layer the pwned iOS4 firmware on top of a 3.1.2 jailbreak to preserve it. iH8snow's method is NOT a new jailbreak, it repackages the dev-team's Pwnage tool for Windows and uses some nifty but dirty techniques to preserve a jailbreak after an iOS pwned upgrade is installed, This is useful only for new bootrom iPhone 3G and iPod touch 3G owners who really need a semblance of a jailbreak while they wait for comex's forthcoming all encompassing iOS4 jailbreak tool.

More details and full tutorial on pwning MC models using sn0wbreeze on iH8snow's forum here and we have a stuck thread on forum here for discussion of iH8snow's tools.

Update, July 8th:

iH8sn0w now says he'll be releasing 'tomorrow night'... so another push back of his 'ETA' and I suppose this means we'll see him releasing the sn0wbreeze update along with updates of the accompanying tools to allow pwning of iOS4 for a few new devices.

From ih8snow's tweets:

'For the release tomorrow night, here are the requirements'

• iPod touch 2G MC = no SHSH blobs required
    • iPhone 3GS / iPod touch 3 == requires 3.1.2 preinstalled or 3.1.2 SHSH blobs
    • 3.1.3 SHSH blobs cannot be used because exploit was closed.
    In short nothing really new bar the addition of the 8GB iPod touch 3G or iPod touch 2G MC, whichever you want to call it... Also note that this is not a new jailbreak but a rather nifty reimplementation by iH8snow of already public jailbreaks. sn0wbreeze is basically a Windows build of the dev-team's PwnageTool with a few extra bells and whistles thrown in now to allow pwning of a few extra devices under special conditions (as above). Just to restate, this is not a new jailbreak! iH8sn0w do not make jailbreaks! The only iOS4 jailbreak for all iDevices currently in production is by comex. Don't believe any failbr3ak noise from unknowns!

Update, July 7th:

To Quash Arguments in this thread: the evidence so far suggests that comex's jailbreak will be an UNTETHERED userland jailbreak, one that Apple will be able to patch out and probably similar (or an update to) Spirit.

iH8snow still hasn't got all the tools out that you will need to run his methods to install a pwned iOS on your iPod touch 3G 16GB and 32GB models.There also been reports of a lot of people having problems with his method on iPhone 3GS though there is evidence it does work so I'm sure those that have the correct set up (SHSH blobs etc.) and read his tutorials properly should be okay. However his software is probably still in beta as he seems to be releasing as quick as he can so don't expect things to run smoothly.

Update, July 6th:

I think its now a given that the iOS4 jailbreak for iDevices with the new bootrom will be released by @comex and it will be a tethered userland jailbreak (an update of Spirit). MuscleNerd & Planetbeing meanwhile are hard at work on baseband.

The tweets below are the latest info from @musclnerd's tweet timeline:

...the next jailbreak from @comex is like first Spirit..all devices, all bootroms, latest FW, painless install

Good progress on iPhone4 unlock with @planetbeing: http://is.gd/dh2WE <-injected cmd! (Akin to http://is.gd/dh2Ze on 3G)

Next step is to keep the task backgrounded like we did for 3G/3GS http://is.gd/dh7Jh. Backgrounded task is the unlock.

In other news, iH8sn0w has updated his pwnage type tool sn0wbreeze to v1.7, which allows pwning of iPod touch 3G devices as long as they are currently on 3.1.2 or have 3.1.2 firmware activation blobs backed up (note that 8GB model does not need the blobs and can be downgraded using this method). More details on sn0wbreeze here. Not everyone fits the '3.1.2' profile required for sn0wbreeze and the method for pwning is a little complicated so make sure you fully understand what you are doing before you take the leap. Some models also need updated versions of iBooty and Payload Pwner which iH8snow hasn't released as yet

From iH8snow's twitter stream:

iPod Touch 2G MC + iPod Touch 3 tutorials are next. Please be paitent.

Pwning 4.0 New Bootroms already on 3.1.2 or have 3.1.2 shsh blobs w/sn0wbreeze 1.7. *Sleep Fixed* --> http://bit.ly/atgzae

Update 2, July 5th:

@musclenerd: "jailbreak for all devices at 4.0 is already handled by upcoming @comex release

so, good time for iphone4 unlock stuff"
    ... comex is in the process of layering an iOS4 jailbreak onto Spirit as he had hinted previously and it's in the pipeline. Nothing really new as comex had already mentioned he was working on this but it's good to get confirmation that it's still in progress. This will be a tethered jailbreak that can be patched out by Apple in a future firmware upgrade. There is again no ETA or promise but it is "upcoming" and musclenerd and planetbeing are working on the baseband.

The question still is whether comex will release as soon as it's ready or will he prefer to wait for Apple to put out an iOS update (to remedy the iPhone4 signal bar issue) before he releases to avoid the risk of them quickly patching it out.

Update, July 5th:

1. @planetbeing tweeted the baseband bootrom hash but says they've now run into a 'speed bump' - presumably their progress will be slower for a while. @musclenerd added that next step is comparing the current bootrom to earlier versions 'to see if any bug-fixes pop out'. i.e. progress continues but at a slower pace and there is still no ETA or guarantee.

2. ih8sn0w posted the following on twitter: "People that are on 3.1.2 new bootrom but without SHSH blobs are in luck for the tethered 4.0 jb. New things coming tomorrow!"..Following on from his jailbreak tutorial for new bootrom iPhone 3GS owners with 3.1.2 SHSH blobs backed up (i.e. who can downgrade back to 3.1.2) he's saying they'll have another tutorial up for iPhone 3GS users who are still on 3.1.2 and missed backing up blobs (i.e. they didn't jailbreak) to install a custom pwned iOS4 firmware. I'm sure this will only apply to a small number of users, but nevertheless it's another positive step.

Update, July 3rd

@plantbeing: "Haven't eaten in over 24 hours working on the baseband; running on adrenaline only.

" --- working hard but no further news.

Update July 2nd:

@planetbeing says "We're working on the baseband right now. There's some promise but no ETA or guarantees" - read NO Estimated Time of Arrival and NO guarantee of a jailbreak. Patience is a virtue people.

Update, June 29th:

GeoHot has said he does not have an iPhone 4 yet, so those of you waiting for a jailbreak from him shouldn't expect anything soon. There are some reports that if he does build and release a jailbreak it will be called '|imerain', though this has not been confirmed by GeoHot and was also the rumoured codename for his rumoured 3.1.3 jailbreak... so it's probably bull.

Comex says on his Spirit site:

• geohot will probably release his bootrom-based jailbreak soon, so you might want to just wait for your jailbreak.Apparently not...

• What's up with 4.0? It's theoretically possible to chainload a 4.0 kernel on top of 3.1.x, which would allow the existing userland exploit to run a jailbroken 4.0 for devices with saved 3.1.x SHSH blobs, but quite hard. Instead, I'm focusing on exploiting a new bug, which is actually easier and should work on the iPhone 4 as well...

Update, June 27th

@comex has another userland jailbreak for all devices running iOS4, according to information from the iPhone Dev-Team. This would likely be an upgrade to his userland Spirit jailbreak for 3.1.3. Userland jailbreaks are the easiest to implement but can be easily patched out by Apple in a firmware upgrade. Despite reports on the interwebs that the jailbreak will be released July 2nd but this has not been officially confirmed and @musclenerd has further stated that comex's jailbreak is nowhere near being finished and that there is no official release date.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Info

• 'New bootrom' iDevices are: iPod touch 3G (MC model), iPhone 3GS with the new bootrom (very early 3GS had the old pwned bootrom) and iPhone 4.
    • Jailbreak developers rarely give deadlines or release dates any more as they often overshoot their schedule and the noise from ungrateful people causes more trouble than it's worth. THERE IS NO SCHEDULE OR TIME FRAME FOR RELEASE OF A JAILBREAK FOR DEVICES WITH THE NEWER BOOTROM.
    • However, there are positive signs that an iOS4 jailbreak will be produced for these iDevices:
      • p0sixninja and GeoHot have both stated they have an exploit for the new bootrom that will allow a tethered jailbreak of iOS4 - this cannot be patched out and so all new bootrom models would effectively be 'pwned4life'*.
      • the iPhone Dev-Team has a higher level exploit that will allow an untethered jailbreak but can be patched out in future firmware upgrades.
    • GeoHot is busy with the WorldCup and p0sixninja does not receive his iPhone4 until early July, though has said he may start work on a jailbreak before he gets it. The Dev-Team may choose to hold their exploit for future use given the discovery of the bootrom hole. i.e. AN NEW BOOTROM MODEL JAILBREAK IS PROBABLY IN THE PIPELINE BUT WON'T BE RELEASED FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF WEEKS AND PROBABLY LONGER.
    • iH8sn0w is not developing a jailbreak. They build jailbreak tools and repackage publicly released jailbreaks. They do not release new jailbreaks.
    • Comex (of Spirit jailbreak fame) is not working on updating Spirit for 4.0. He says he's preferring to wait and see if GeoHot comes out with anything.

*pwned4life = hacked at the hardware level so a jailbreak will always be possible despite any firmware upgrades.
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Alright guys, you screwed this up the first time, you get one last shot at having a discussion thread for Comex's upcoming jailbreak. I will be closely monitoring this from now on, and infractions will be handed out for arguing, insulting, or posting off topic.
  3. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    • Irrelevant/off-topic posts
    But wernt we just discussing the name of the jailbreak is that off topic?
  4. ipitouchy

ipitouchy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    There is a thread for that here.
  5. Isaac

Isaac Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Did they just recreate that again? Lol.

Apparently we are bad users. i gotta think more about what I post.

So LOL someone said it will be released tonight if everything goes well.

Had anyone else heard this it sounds screwy and fake! Cuz ETA's aren't sapossed to be spammed.

Does anyone know what this will be called?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I mean since it won't be called spirit does anyone know what it will be called?
  6. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There are stuff to discuss. New uptades from comex or any other ones from the iPhone Dev Team. I personally check this thread every so often, because I'm curious too see whats going on since I don't have twitter to follow comex and all of the updates. This thread is helpfull when people actually post helpful things and don't get off topic.
  7. DrMonkey

DrMonkey New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Comex's latest tweet:

You may now speculate.
  8. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

comex just tweeted this is exciting!!!!
  9. y2kss66

y2kss66 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    lol yeah I just saw that. I wonder what it means?

hopefully its the good news!
  10. relliyan

relliyan Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You think its about his jailbreak? Maybe he's about to have s#x wiz his girlfriend ... lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.