Color settings on the ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Squeazy Weazel, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Squeazy Weazel

Squeazy Weazel New Member

Hi everyone. This is my very first post on the forum... sooooo be gentle.

I don't have an ipod touch at the moment but I'm in the process of considering buying one.

The one thing I wanted to check out before I took the plunge though is to find out if it's possible to change the background and text colours in the applications themselves.

I should explain that I have an eye condition where I suffer from glare when I look at white things like computer screens or even a piece of paper. I get so much glare that I can't see the text. With Windows operating systems for example you can change the background and text colours around. This makes it possible for me to use my laptop. I set the background as black and the text as white.

Now as I understand it and from pictures I have seen of the ipod touch the main screen is perfect for me as the background is black and the icons are white. But, when an application is picked such as internet browsing or even music lists the screen colours are set to the usual white background and black text, which is unfortunately no good for me and would mean that I couldn't use the ipod touch at all.

My question then is... Is it possible to change the color settings in the application windows?

Thanks for your time.

Squeezy
  2. DarthVader1432

DarthVader1432 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    hmmmm i have seen people do this but alas...i know not how...sucks to be you...oh and it probably involves jaibreaking your ipod...
  3. Squeazy Weazel

Hi Darth,

Thanks for the super quick answer.

Sorry to sound completely dim but I'm new to all this but what does jailbreaking mean?
  4. DarthVader1432

DarthVader1432 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ok, well

Jailbreaking is when you open your ipod touch or iphone to 3rd party applications (apps that are not approved, controlled, or limited by apple)(this is a good thing, apple limits apps from their full potential most of the time)

You can download jailbreak programs off the internet to use to jailbreak your ipod( quickpwn and ziphone are two examples- quickpwn is what i used and I think its the best) there are numerous tutorials on these forums and on youtube to help you with that.

after you jailbreak your ipod you can: download 3rd party applications like mxtube( youtube but lets you download vids to your ipod) and cycoder( if yoyu have an iphone, it lets you use your camera as a video camera) those are just 2 examples. You can also customize the: font, background, wallpaper, theme and other things of your ipod. I don't know if you can change this stuff for the actual applications such as music and stuff(im sure somebody does)

only bad thing about jailbreaking your ipod is that it voids your warrenty.
    there is a simple way to get around this that i know that works. if you have a problem with your ipod and its jailbroken, all u have to do is recover it(which you can basically always do no matter what situation you are in) and return it to apple so they can fix/give you a new one. Once an ipod is recovered there is no trace that you jailbroke it. apple will never know.

hope this helps

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Squeazy Weazel

Thanks Darth,

That explanation makes it all clear now.

After getting in contact with Apple themselves and speaking to a really helpful guy who probably has a hard time working out where he is and who he works for I've decided not to go ahead with getting an ipod touch. I just can't seem to get a definitive answer on if or how it is possible to change the applications background colors. It's a fair bit of money to lay out only to find that I can't use it, imagine how frustrating that would be. It's a shame as it's one of those things that would be pretty simple to sort. But, hey that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

I've decided to stick with my good old ipod classic and use my laptop for everything else.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Cheers,

Squeazy