Cloverfield - waste of my life.

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by Appstore 2.0, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Hey guys. If you've been on The Dark Knight thread you should know i have good taste in movies. You should also know (by me telling you now) i watch alot of movies.

Okay, so here is my review on Cloverfield:

Let me start off by saying i was looking forward to watching the movie due to its good reviews and positive feedback. I wasn't watching it to look forward to the best movie of my life, nor did i watch it expecting the worst. I watched it to pass some time.

Okay, so the basic storyline starts off during a party. The party scene was okay, there was good acting on the guy holding the camera and it wasn't bad for the most part, probably the best point in the movie. Soon after the party there is an attack on the city (which i'm sure you know is the monster). People start to panic, which shows a little light on the poor acting abilities of some of these people. They think it is a good idea to cross the bridge out of manhatten to escape the monster (where something happens which i won't tell you if you're looking forward to the movie).

Then the storyline focuses mainly on "Rob" a guy who has to find his girlfriend. I can see no particular reason why this would spark intrest in the storyline as we don't know his girlfriend.

Right, this paragraph shall be entitled "the critism". We're following this guy through the city where the monster is still attacking. This is the only bit that was interesting. The plot itself wasn't. The best part of the movie is the fact that these mini-monsters when they bite you have effects. These effects are the best part of the movie. Suffice to say they end up in someone dying. The other ok part of the movie is the special effects. The monsters look ok, nothing great, and they certainly don't have an air of mystery about them like the monster from Lost does.

I'm frustrated not at the film now, but my review. The film was so awful i can't actually describe to you how bad it is without really telling you the whole film. I say "film" and not "story" because there is no story... Really. I had two questions during this film, and they both revolved around the monster number 1 was "what is the monster" and number 2 is "where did it come from". Now think about that for a second. The whole movie triggered two questions. These questions aren't answered.

The movie is so pointless i really really wish i hadn't seen it. You may be asking yourself why sit through 75mins of the whole movie if you didn't like it? Well, to be honest i thought the story was going to get good.

Aha, i've found the perfect way to describe this movie! It's an introduction. It's like the boring introduction to lost with a slightly good ending (i say slightly good in terms of Lost, in terms of this movie, the end of this introduction was sh*t).

Oh, and you're probably thinking "well it may be a bad film but the interesting camera angle may work to the benefit of actually seing it". Well - not really. The only thing is if this was filmed from numerous camera angles it would have been a completely sh*t film.

Save yourself sometime and rent a love film and a zombie movie (any will do, and i mean literally any, any zombie or love film has to be better than this).

Verdict :

Effects : 7/10 (i've seen alot better)
    Story: 0/10

Overall :

0/10. It doesn't even deserve a point even on the merits the special effects are ok. Seriously. It's that bad.
  2. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    This thread screams controversy.
  3. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

I loved cloverfield. 10/10.
  4. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

I didn't create it upon trying to get attention. It is my real opinion. I hated it.
  5. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

I loved it to!
  6. TmacHot

TmacHot Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    cloverfield SUCKS !!!
    saw it yesterday . agree with appstore.2.0
    its silly almost copy of gozzila , with an anoying camera that is confuses and it loses the element of the real with those special effects
    the special effects were nice i cant say
    but it was a waste of time
    as for the camera i prefer blair witch project
  7. Hiratai

Hiratai Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I like how they all die at the end.

WHOOPS DID THAT SLIP?!
  8. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

OMFG. Thank you so much - that's the perfect film to watch instead of this. Godzilla. Omg i can't begin to explain how much better Godzilla is to this. Even in terms of Godzillas special effects it's better than Cloverfield.

Everyone thinking of buying this on DVD = Don't. Get Godzilla.

Cheers again TmacHot. I was comparing it to Lost knowing that was the wrong thing to do but comparing it to Godzilla makes so much sense. Godzilla owns this.
  9. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Cloverfield sucks. I told u guys it sucked in the Cloverfield thread (I think it was that thread, not too sure)
  10. Kohkane

Kohkane New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I loved cloverfield. I'm a sucker for those types of movies.. Rec anyone?

Please Register or Log in to view images