Closing an application

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PleezAcceptThisUserName, Apr 11, 2010.

1. PleezAcceptThisUserName

PleezAcceptThisUserName New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have an iPod Touch. The back plate claims the model is A1213. However, Settings->General->About claims that the model is MA623LL. I just upgraded the iPhone OS for iPod Touch to version 3.1.3.

According to web surfing, I close apps by holding down the Home button for 5 seconds. When I hold it down for much longer, however, and nothing happens.

If I just click the Home button, I do go back to the home menu, but if I return to an application, its the same page that I was looking at before. It almost seems like it never closed, just got put in the background.

I know I can hit the device with a club by holding down Power and Home buttons, but I hear that's not recommended. I also know you can hold down power until you are presented with a slider to power down, but I'm not sure if this is any different from holding down Power and Home. Comments?

P.S. when I post this message, I have a checkbox for polling this thread. What does that mean?
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Holding Power & Home is not like 'hitting the device with a club'. It was made to do that.

Power & Home together reboots the iPod.
    Power until 'slide to power off', then holding down home ends the current application entirely.

The checkbox lets you add a poll to the thread.
  3. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Simply clicking the Home button will close any third party applications. If they are well made, they will save your position and return to that upon reopening, as if they had been backgrounded.

Holding the power and home buttons is a force shutdown, which can be unsafe and lead to corrupted files. The slider to power down allows the OS to power off safely.
  4. PleezAcceptThisUserName

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sliding off seems to turn off the device rather than "end[ing] the application".

Sorry I wasn't clear, but I wasn't asking about the meaning of the word "poll". I meant to ask what it meant specifically in the context of this forum, in particular, how it is manifested.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Thanks, Gamma. Does the home button also close native apps like Mail and Safari? I would assume so, but just wanted to be sure about my understanding.

Thanks for clarifying what is the safe way to power down (with the slider).
  5. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Pressing the home button will leave Mail and Safari open in the background, but iPhone OS will close them if it needs the memory, so there should be little, if any visible slowdown
  6. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    You hold the power button until it says 'Slide to power off'. Then you hold the home button without sliding the slider.
  7. PleezAcceptThisUserName

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks, Shawa, Gamma, for clarifying. With all the different ways there are to power down, reboot, close apps, go Home, etc., and their different implications for tying up CPU, memory, and corrupting files, I'm surprised that there isn't a FAQ page on this distinguishing between the subtleties. Does the buttonology change from one OS release to the next so as to make such a FAQ ephemeral?