Clock has mind of it's own

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AusQB, Aug 10, 2008.

1. AusQB

AusQB New Member

Ever since I got my iPod around January (with 1.12 firmware I think), the clock has been changing randomly every few days or so. Sometimes it seems like the clock literally froze and picked up where it left off, so it might be just a day behind, and other times it might be a completely different month. As far as I'm concerned, I don't even want it to be off by a minute. Why does this keep happening? What could I do to fix it?
  2. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Wow cool! Do you often sync it with itunes?
  3. emanuelme

emanuelme New Member

Had this same problem. It happened almost every time I synced with itunes. I imagine you are running a windows computer. To avoid the problem, make sure Itunes is not open when you connect the ipod. When you connect it, it should sync properly.
  4. AusQB

AusQB New Member

Ok, thanks. It doesn't really make sense that it would matter whether or not iTunes was open though. If I do find that the clock is wrong in the future, is there any way I can fix it without having to enter the date and time manually?
  5. emanuelme

emanuelme New Member

Im not sure exactly why it happens if itunes is already open. I imagine somewhere along the syncing (when itunes is already open,) it sends bad code. I actually had an ipod replaced by apple for this reason although the new ipod had the same problem. It is something they should be away of and I'm not sure if they have created a patch for it. (I'll look in a moment). In the interim, you can either manually change the clock back or you can resync your ipod and it should change the time back. (it is most annoying for me when i dont notice it and my alarm doesnt go off due to a time change.)

Here is a link to a discussion on apple's site. It seems that for some reason when itunes is open and the computer goes into hibernation, it messes with the clock settings somehow and when you sync (after coming out of hibernation) it will sync the wrong time. Hence the closing and reopening itunes prior to syncing. Theoretically, this is testable and I will do so shortly...
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7073243&tstart=0

Just did the test and in fact whenever itunes is open and the computer hibernates and then i sync, it will mess up the time. however, if i dont hibernate and dont close itunes, it will not mess up the time... weird. im going to call apple and see what they say.
  6. AusQB

AusQB New Member

I can see how I would be affected by this issue, as my iPod is always connected to my laptop when I'm at home, during which time I might close the screen several times whilst iTunes is [always] open. In fact, I just tried it then and the date went back one day and the time forward about fifteen minutes. I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed yet (I have firmware version 2.0.1).
  7. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Somewhat off topic, but i just checked my Clock and the stop watch was still running from when 2.0 came out. I just restored to 2.0.1 yesterday. Weird how it stays on.
  8. AusQB

AusQB New Member

What was it up to?
  9. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Not sure, it's syncing right now. It started maybe a week or so after 2.0 came out.