Clean Restore - Complete File Deletion OS 3.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Raytheon117, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Raytheon117

Raytheon117 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi Everyone!

Forgive me if this has been asked in some way or another before. I spent quite a while searching the forums but couldn't find and answer, so I decided to make a new thread.

Long story short: With my iPod touch 2G 16GB, I upgraded to OS 4.1.2, didn't like the performance, tried to restore down to 3.1.3, but was only able to go down to 4.0. After SHSH blobbing my way to freedom, I was able to go down to OS 3.0. Now that I'm here and have jailbroken, I realized that quite a few things are broken, such as setting my wallpaper and saving images. The iPod isn't writing them out to the 'Saved Photos' section. I also have a few other problems as well with remnant files that seem to be left over from the previous OS upgrade.

My question: With my iPod jailbroken and my having access to the filesystem via WinSCP, to do a 100% clean restore, is it possible for me to delete all the directories in here, put the iPod in DFU then restore? or would that just completely brick my iPod?

Alternatively, to get everything properly clean, what would you all suggest I do? Should I restore to 3.0 from 3.0, in hopes of everything getting erased and previous ghost files being properly cleared?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Seems this is getting worse on my iPod now. Safari's starting to ignore my touch input after i switch to other running apps (like iPod player or Mail). I guess no one really knows how to ensure a fully clean restore?
  2. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    DFU it.

DFU, unlike a regular restore, starts you COMPLETELY new, and not going off of a backup like it would if you just clicked restore.