Chronic Dev Team

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by geekgrrl, Jun 19, 2009.

1. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    The team is working so hard on all versions, I wonder if they could fix that underclock on the Touch 2G cpu, so we will will get "up to speed" with iPhone 3G S. I wonder, is it do-able: Touch 2G S?
  2. djmitza222

djmitza222 Member

Device:
    iPad
  3. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Bye bye battery life.
    Not to mention the iPhone 3G S could have the full CPU power and destroy the iPod touch 2G, even if it's over clocked.
  4. m4rs

m4rs New Member

The CPUs are different, there is absolutely no relation ... iPod touch 2G CPU is underclocked to 533Hz from 620Mhz (ARM 11), while the 3GS processor is from a newer ARM generation (Cortex A8), and is "underclocked"/standard to 600Mhz from a possible maximum of over 1Ghz. So, ipt2g CPU is limited to a maximum of 620Mhz while the 3GS can go from it's standard of 600Mhz to much more.

If you were to overclock the ipt2g cpu, you'd be able to use it for much less time and it would over heat a lot. So it would be a stupid move to make
  5. tehreflex

tehreflex New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    wear ice gloves to keep it cool and who cares about battery?
  6. COLINx86

COLINx86 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The psp when it was first hacked could be overclocked to 333 mhz from 222, and it didn't overheat, battery life just sucked.
    Maybe add like an option to sbsettings or something, so that you can change it on the fly

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, but the PSP had a lot more room to work with. Even the 1G touches are really thin, leaving little room for cool down.

In theory, the 1G and 2G could both be overclocked. IIRC, the 1G's processor has a potential of something like 800MHz? It's way underclocked for battery and heat issues.

The 2G's, as stated, can be overclocked to 620MHz.

Basically, it would be the same premise as with a laptop. If you have your CPU set to 25% power to conserve battery life, and the battery lasts 5 hours, when you send it up to 100%, you loose a lot of that battery life.

Figure the Touch gets about 10 hours with either normal app use or internet use. Overclocked, you might be looking at one or two hours tops, and potential heat damage.

To even pull it off, the built in protection from heat (it auto shuts off at a certain temp) would have to be disabled, as the processor would likely keep it from working for more than a few minutes due to heat. Especially in the 1G, as it's processor would be much hotter due to the higher power.

There have been various devs who have looked into doing it, and all of them have come out with the same end result; it just isn't worth it. The battery issue kills portability, and the heat issue kills your hands and potentially the iPod. For more speed, it just isn't worth the cost.
  8. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    -Xi-

The 600Mhz iPhone 3G S loads up Safari quickly and web apps start up is fast.

Having the Touch 2G CPU run 600Mhz would seem to be "good" ..and that is not overclocking.

My Touch 2G runs cool, now. I wouldn't mind having it run at 600Mhz.

I grabbed your comment on another thread for sig. I hope you don't mind.
  9. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Overclocking would take quite a bit of hacking. It *could* be done, but it isn't just as simple as saying "Oh, let me press this button, and there we go. Done." The end result could *probably* do that, but that would be like the end result of jailbreaking. The user get's a nice GUI and only needs to do some basic things. The real work would be behind the program to allow it.

I'm not really that familiar with how the CPU is controlled and underclocked on Touches, so I can't really say what all would need to be done. I can guarantee that it would require a jailbroken device, and there's also a good chance that it would be version-specific, much like jailbreaking was prior to Redsn0w.

And I don't mind the quote at all.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    -Xi- Thank you.

The "new" Touch may have the faster processor and the new "Multi-Touch screen" would be GREAT but I don't count on it. The Touch 2G in Safari "loading" is sluggish and some of my "web apps" take forever to load.