Christmas headache! Ipod 16gb 1g or Ipod 8gb 2g!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by coffeewithchess, Dec 26, 2008.

1. coffeewithchess

coffeewithchess New Member

For Christmas, I received an Ipod Touch 16gb 1st Generation. I haven't followed Ipods and never planned on owning one. I haven't even opened the box yet, as I decided to research the different models out...that's when my headache started! Literally for about 6 hours today, I've been reading forums and articles. Does anybody here think that I should keep the 16gb 1st Gen, or exchange it for the 2nd Gen 8gb as it is the same price? I know the external volume control on the 2nd Gen as well as the internal speaker are two of the upgrades for the 2nd Gen, both of those seem like some pretty good upgrades. I've even read that the 2nd Gen has a faster processor, so I'm not really sure what to do...any thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated!
  2. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    get ipod 16 GB 1g because it can be jailbroken and a lot of space! trust me, you'll need it for apps!
  3. -Kerrigan-

-Kerrigan- New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do you know about jailbreak? If you don't look around the forums for info and what it is. And know that you may want to keep your 1G because 2G is currently not able to jailbreak.
  4. joorowned

joorowned New Member

Its all about personal preference: Jailbroken or not. Hopefully u know what that means.

However, personally I would pick the 2g because its newer, has more features, and is faster

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. mom2austin

mom2austin New Member

I got the 16g 1G because the guy at Best Buy basically lied to my DH (yes, he should have researched, but this was not a gift he was planning on buying). He was told that the 1G had an external speaker, but that the 2G was a better one.

By the time I figured out the difference I had already paid the $9.95 to Apple to upgrade the firmware and had loaded a ton of songs on it. I'm keeping it because I'm mainly going to be using it in my car with an FM transmitter. No need for an external speaker, really.
  6. BaseballMVP755

BaseballMVP755 Banned

16gb 1g, of course... u can jailbreak and u get more memory.. i wouldnt settle for a 8gb just because of a speaker that u can barely hear
  7. tat.zizzy

tat.zizzy Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Use the 1 g only!! Man I can tell. I have been waiting for a jailbreak since September!! The first generation can be jailbroken so take it. The external speaker on the 2g ain't that loud and u can live without it. And the faster processor just means that u will shave off a couple of seconds while loading heavy games and apps.
    My advice---take the first generation!!
  8. coffeewithchess

coffeewithchess New Member

If I don't know what jailbreak is, and thinking that I probably wouldn't use it...does the 16gb still matter. I think I would use it to surf the net and listen to podcasts, but I don't know if the 1G is just as good at the WiFi connection as the 2G is.
  9. rileyman

rileyman Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1G all the way, just look at the themes.
  10. chrisinfinity

chrisinfinity New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    /

Get the 2g, why would you want a 1g when you can get the latest one. If you keep the 1g your going to regret it. Who cares about jailbreaking, it voids your warrenty but if you must, the 2g is probubly going to have it soon.