what does chmod mean ?
  2. Joseph

Joseph Retired Moderator

Wikipedia rocks :]
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do you not have Google? Yahoo? Ask.com? Lycos? MSN.com? Windows Live Search? Wikipedia? Dictionary.com? Friends?
  4. iROCKnikes123

iROCKnikes123 New Member

I knew what it does and I just was wondering why it was called that I knew it meant to change the permissions I guess I worded my first post wrong .
  5. iROCKnikes123

iROCKnikes123 New Member

and there's no need to be an ass about it it was just a question and if you didnt want to answer what I asked then you shouldn't post in this thread .
  6. dpocius

dpocius New Member

Perhaps this points out the need for a series of noob's tutorials, either as sticky posts or as a complete new section; stuff like essential Unix, the relationship between firmware uprades and the jailbreak process, basic file architecture of the iPod Touch, outline history of jailbreak, etc.

As far as where to find this info, it seems logical to look in the place where experts hang out; i.e., here. I would have figured that this forum would be covered under Teslanaut's last suggestion of where to find help.

Background: I got my Touch for Xmas, and before I could even get it out of the box, my son-in-law whisked it away and jailbroke it to 1.1.2. In his enthusiasm, I missed a clear explanation of what was going on, but I was sure pleased with the results. So now I have an expensive gadget that's been hot-rodded in a way that the vindictive manufacturer disapproves of, using methods that, to an outsider seem to have been devised by a disorganized mob (Nate? dev?), with no clearly-recognized authority to whom I can turn to keep from screwing up my Touch beyond all recognition (well, at least beyond doing a restore), in a situation that changes minute-by-minute (honestly, I've been checking this forum several times a day for fresh info on the Installer issues!), and seeing that 1.1.3 is inevitable, or at least until 1.1.4 and/or the SDK come out. Now I see that there's no definitive consensus on how to upgrade to 1.1.3, what with the thousands of useful or useless ("jailbreak 1.1.3 killed my iTouch! this sux! help.") problem reports. Do you see where a newcomer might feel a bit overwhelmed and frustrated? I keep this site, iAppCat, iPodTouchMaster, and STE Packaging open all the time, searching for new tidbits of information I can trust. The lack of clear beginner's level info makes it seem like I'm trying to climb a ladder where the first three rungs are broken. (/end rant)

Ah, the joys of the Internet...