[cheat sheet] Battery Themes

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by theiThemer, Feb 16, 2010.

1. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Cheat Sheet #1
    - Battery Themes
    - by iThemer

This "cheat sheet" is an extension of my guide on how to make a WinterBoard theme, found here.

Making a battery theme can be accomplished by following the guide; this "cheat sheet" just gives you a head start and does all the dirty work for you.

So with that out of the way...

Battery themes skin the battery image you see on the lockscreen while your device is plugged in. There are 17 different images to show different "states" that reflect the batterys current charge level

Dimensions and Image Size:

Technically, battery images can be up to 320x480px. However, the default size for all battery images is 264x129px. Keep in mind that all of your battery images should be the same size, and there should be 17 in total. Once you have all 17 of your battery images made, head to the next step

File Names and Storing Locations:
    First of all, take your 17 images and rename them.

The names should be "BatteryBG_1.png" through "BatteryBG_17.png", where "BatteryBG_1.png" reflects no battery at all, and "BatteryBG_17.png" reflects 100% battery level.
    Once you have all images named properly, proceed.

If you have read my tutorial, you should know that the "Folders" and "Bundles" folder have the same use. In this case, we're going to be using the "Folders" folder. So go ahead and make a folder named "BatteryTheme.theme", where "BatteryTheme" can be replaced with anything you want. Inside that folder, create a new folder and call it "Folders". Inside the "Folders" folder, create yet another folder, and call it "SpringBoard.app"; paste all of your battery images here.

If you have followed these instructions, you should have something similar to the "tree" below.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Now all you have to do is SSH to Library/Themes on your device and place your .theme right in there; then enable in WinterBoard.

-----------------------------------------

Remember that you, too can make "cheat sheets". Just pick a theming topic of your choice, write a tutorial, PM me, and if I like it, I'll create a thread and link to it on the main tutorial guide.

Thanks for reading my tutorial.
    Happy Theming!
  2. Code Name_Raven

Code Name_Raven Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Isn't it com.apple.springboard rather than springboard.app?
  3. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If you take a look at the original tutorial, you'd realize that the "Folders" folder is a replacement for the "Bundles" folder.

With the bundles folder, you have to put everything in the form of a bundle identifier (com.companyname.appname) but with "Folders", you just need the name of the app folder.

To answer your question, it would be "com.apple.springboard" if you put it in the "Bundles" folder, but in the "Folders" folder, all you need is "SpringBoard.app"
  4. PriteSprite

PriteSprite Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    hey iThemer do you know any link for downloading default iPod application icons? I'd like to hue them all, i would feel refreshed

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It is illegal to post any copyright material (including icons)

You can SSH to /Applications, and inside every XXX.app will be an "icon.png".
    For App Store apps, the "icon.png" is located at /private/var/mobile/Applications/
  6. PriteSprite

PriteSprite Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yeah but what i am trying to download is someone's work that he didn't create. He got it from Apple, hence I wouldn't be posting any copyrighted material. I mean, everybody takes Apple's default icons and changes them for their theme right?
  7. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No.

Most people start completely from scratch, and make all their icons from scratch.

Others start from scratch, creating a base, then using free glyphs they could get from various places, and modifying them to their liking.

... Answering your question, I explained how to extract default icons, other than that, I cant help you, and keep in mind that this is a thread on how to make a battery theme, and lets try to keep the comments on-topic.
  8. Code Name_Raven

Code Name_Raven Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Or, you could have just posted this with your other tutorial...
  9. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm planning on having a lot more of these and it would take up WAYY to much space on the main tutorial, so I write seperate threads (like this one) and just link to them in the main tutorial.

... ndb.
  10. JayZ11

JayZ11 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi Ithemer
    thanks for your guide and this cheat sheet
    I knew most of this but your guide gave me a greater understanding
    I was just wondering with the battery icon, is there a way to change the position or size becuase i made a 320x480 icon but when my iPod displays it it cuts half of it off.

Thanks

edit: did I just bump this thread?