Cheapest way to set up home WiFi network?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sierra, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Sierra

Sierra New Member

I am considering setting up a home wireless network solely for my new iPod Touch, but I am curious as to how expensive it will be. What do I need to purchase? I have heard of ad hoc, but I know I don't need anything complicated at all, as I don't have a lap top or anything like that.
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

You obviously need to get an ISP (comcast, verizon, time warner, etc.) and then buy a wireless router, which can range from cheap to mucho expensive (AirPort Extreme)
  3. Reshad

Reshad New Member

if you got an internet connection, you just need some kind of wifi router. Make sure its 802.11b/g or something like that (can someone confirm?)

mine was 30 euro and it works fine. Can sit in the garden and I still got connection.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

1) Any device you want to work wirelessly will either need WiFi built-in, or have a WiFi adapter.

Desktop: If you do not have WiFi built-in, you will need a WiFi PCI card or a USB WiFi dongle.
    Laptop: a PCMCIA WiFi card (traditional) or ExpressCard (newer models) WiFi card will be required.
    PDA/SmartPhone: An SDIO or Compact Flash WiFi card will be required. Your device must support SDIO for the former, and there must be software supplied to access wireless networks on your device in either case.

After that, all you need is a router. I am partial to Linksys myself, but there are tons available and they're relatively cheap.

Depending on how many devices you need wireless it for you could go wireless for under $100.
  5. therobinsonator

therobinsonator New Member

ive had a linksys it broke on me i got a belknin the range isnt as far but its still working though
    but having wireless is a great advantage because i bought one for my wii and now i have like ten uses for it
  6. kf6tac

kf6tac New Member

I did it for around $40. Just walked into my local Staples and bought a Netgear router. If its sole purpose is to allow you to use WiFi on your Touch, then you don't need anything else as long as you already have an existing wired connection to feed into the router.
  7. Walder

Walder New Member

Hey, I have a non-wireless LAN with no wireless hardware at all.

If I were to purchase this wireless USB adapter:
    http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=9711
    could I bridge my connection and create an Ad-Hoc network between the usb dongle and the iTouch?

Please Register or Log in to view images

In the product description it says: "Supports Infrastructure or Ad-hoc Modes"