Cheapest Service for Iphone? (USA)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by denrocks1, Sep 8, 2009.

1. denrocks1

denrocks1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What would be absolutly the cheapest plan for a Jailbroken IPhone? I have heard of people getting 19.99 unlimited data plans without a phone service, then I could use skype and those texting apps....

Well anyway.. what is the cheapest serice I can get? Also, are prepaid services available?

Thanks in advanced.

(Sorry if this has been asked before, I saw one for Canada, but US has differant providers)
  2. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No one is answering my question so I will attempt to answer yours since it looks like you are having the same problem!

(Sorry if anything I say you already know, you can never tell what level of user you're talking to) AT&T has a strict contract with Apple as far as iphones go. Expensive. You can (front what i read) unlock one or get one unlocked at a God awful price and use T-Mobile or some other company. The thing is, it HAS to use GSM... NOT DCMA (I think that's what it's called) which is Verizon, Sprint, and basically the rest of the universe besides AT&T and T-Mobile. Look at it this way, if i answered your question wrong, you can bet someone will come along and correct me.
  3. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    verizon and basically everyone but att and tmobile is CDMA (not dcma). that means that you cant use the iphone on anyting but att and tmobile. look on their sites for plans and there you go! the cheapest one is the lowest price that you're gonna pay. you can just take the sim card out (i think pls someone correct me if im wrong) and use it as an ipod touch with a camera mic...etc
  4. EricJD

EricJD New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That is correct, with one caveat. You either need to jailbreak or have a valid AT&T SIM (doesn't need to have active service, though) to activate the phone before you can use it.
  5. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    how do you jailbreak it before using it? is it just the same as a normal jailbreak?
  6. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Good question...
  7. Pyrocloud

Pyrocloud New Member

There are more than just two GSM providers in the US. I can't remember which ones use the same 3G freq. as AT&T, but there is at least one more. Check these links to see which providers use GSM in your area. Any GSM carrier will work with your iPhone, pending it is jailbroken. The best carrier in the US is T-Mobile, hands down.

To use any other GSM carrier you will need to install ultrasn0w using cydia. The jailbreak method is the same as all the others. If you have updated to 3.1 you will need to wait for an update before being able to use ultrasn0w. Use the first link to get more information about it.

A Great Information Source

GSM Providers in the US
  8. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    pay and go <3
  9. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    it will show slide for emergency call. just put it in DFU and jailbreak it then it will work like an ipod touch. my cousin has had two iphones.
  10. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The cheapest service is Wifi, but if none of the GSM carriers suit you, you can get a Mifi router from sprint or verizon, and use fring to make calls.