Cheapest possible iPhone plan with these features...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rohit92, Nov 14, 2008.

1. rohit92

rohit92 New Member

Hey guys,
    I was going to get an iPhone soon, switching from Verizon if you wanted to know. I know some people have ways of getting interesting deals with plans from AT&T, and maybe one of you guys can help me find the best deal. I would like the following features to be in plan:
    • Between 400-500 minutes
    • Unlimited Texting
    • Unlimited Data
    • Free Nights & Weekends
    • Free Mobile-to-Mobile
    • ... not sure if I am leaving anything else out.

Also, if anybody knows how to get the iPhone itself, cheaper than what is in store. I would appreciate that as well. Thanks for your time.
  2. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

Here you go. Looks like it's gonna cost you about $80 bucks a month, which is normal. As far as deals go, AT&T has occasional promos and stuff going on that might help out with the cost in the long run. I know that if you have good credit, then it's slightly cheaper. As far as getting the iPhone cheaper, either craigslist or ebay is all I can tell, and the problem with that route is the phone is not activated to a service, so you will be paying for the full price of the phone. The $199 and $299 is based off of a 2 year sign-up contract with AT&T. And most, if not all cell phone providers support free nights and weekends and free mobile-to-mobile included at no additional charge.
  3. soccerpro100cn

soccerpro100cn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ok here's what u do. unlimited txting and the mandatory data plans are the way to go. get minimal minutes like u were planning to do. your set.

cheaper iphone 3g's are only on ebay. and they were used, so it depends if u want a used iphone or not.
  4. loaf-

loaf- New Member

Do you have to take your iPhone into an AT&T store to get it working or can they send you a sim card?
  5. rohit92

rohit92 New Member

Yea, I guess that is what I was going to do. Hopefully it works out for me. These things get pricey after a while!
  6. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Sadly there is no way of avoiding the mandatory 30$ a month data.

As for unlimited texting, its 20$ for unlimited. HOWEVER if your going into a family plan of 2 people you can pay 30$ a month and get unlimited texting for everyone in your plan.

sadly there is no family unlimited data options, so each person on your plan that wants/gets unlimited data will tack on a extra 30$ a month.

So far if you have 2 people you can save quite a bit on a family plan if you play it right, just make sure the main phone "person whose name is on the contract" isn't a iphone. Because the iphone family plans are higher if I remember right.

So lets recap.

Single person:
    $39.99 : 400 minutes, unlimited M2M, Roll over, ect
    $30.00 : Unlimited Data
    +$20.00 : Unlimited Texting
    ----------------------------
    89.99$ a month

Family of 2 people "Both getting data":
    $69.99 : 700 minutes "all perks like rollover and ect" "lowest price option"
    $30.00 : Unlimited Data
    $30.00 : "Optional" 2nd person unlimited data
    +$30.00 : Unlimited family text
    -------------------
    $159.99 : for 2 people a month
    / 2
    --------------------
    $79.995 per person

$89.99
    -$79.995
    ------------
    $9.995

You and a friend save a grand total of $9.995 a month, and over 2 year period you end up saving a grand total of $239.88 if you both have data.

OR

Family plan of 2 "only one person with data"
    $69.99 700 min
    $30.00 Unlimited data
    +$30.00 Unlimited family texting
    ------------------------------
    /2
    ------------------------------

----------

However if you only you get unlimited data you could save 24.995 a month which adds up to a grand total of 599.88 over 2 years. Surprising how much that 30 extra a month makes isnt it

Please Register or Log in to view images

I haven't calculated it yet, but I believe you could save even more if you managed to gather 3 other people who would pay a equal part on the bill a month "so you have the max of 5 lines". However to get optimum savings make sure that 1. the main phone isn't the iphone "so that you don't pay the iphone family plan price", 2. that only the iphone account uses data "so that its only 10$ more for everyone else" and that 3. everyone goes a equal share on the bill.

Anyways I hope I helped

Please Register or Log in to view images

Updated post for both a family plan where both people get data, and for when only one person in the family plan gets data. Also sorry for the gigantic post, I just wanted to show how I got my data.
  7. rohit92

rohit92 New Member

That does seem very helpful... Thank you. I hope that really works. Now, I have to go find someone to get on a plan with me.