Cheapest iPhone plan in Canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andrew2, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Andrew2

Andrew2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew what the cheapest plan you could get for an iPhone in Canada. I'm currently on Bell (who I hate), and they suck. But I'm going off to school and there is no Bell coverage on campus, however there is a Rogers tower on top of the student center.

I currently carry my iPod touch with me everywhere as well as my phone. So i thought I'd just get an iPhone and make my life easier. However I refuse to pay $60+ per month. I don't want a data plan I just want unlimited text and a decent amount of minutes per month. Is there any way I can get an iPhone through Fido or Rogers and not pay $60+ a month? I currently pay $18.39 (including taxes and fees) a month for unlimited texting, 200 anytime minutes, call display, free evening and weekends, and call display. I'm not saying I need all these features.

And before you go and say oh just go and unlock and put a sim card in. I've thought of that, and I'm all for it. However I've been scouring eBay, Kajiji and Craigslist for the last few weeks. I'm willing to pay $200 for a used iPhone. So if someone could point me in the direction of one for around this price then by all means I'm all ears. People who want $450 or $500 for a used iPhone have some issues with them, mind you people pay this for them so maybe its not the sellers fault.

But back to my original question. Is there anyway to get an iPhone through Rogers or Fido without data and unlocking? If so, or even if not what is the cheapest plan you can get for an iPhone in Ontario?

Oh and by iPhone i mean iPhone 3g, I don't need the new one, I just don't want the original. And I'd prefer the 16gb version.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It used to be that you pay $50 extra, and you are nit tied to the data plan, but not anymore. In Canada, unless you pay device-only pricing ($599), you are tied to a plan of minimum $60 incl. System Access Fee.

You can no linger get a 3G 16GB. It is only available in 8GB for $99/$599

$450 is a reasonable price for a used iPhone, since device-only pricing ranges from $599-$799.
  3. Andrew2

Andrew2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can still get the 3g with 16gb:

Please Register or Log in to view images

And I disagree with $450 being a good used price. You can get a brand new 3g 16gb for $149 and a used one for $99 under contract.
  4. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I agree with your disagree. You can get a 16GB 3GS + Contract cancelation fee + first month for like $475, so why get a used iPod when you can get one that's twice as fast AND new for about $25 more?
  5. Andrew2

Andrew2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you. I'm glad some one else thinks these prices are ridiculous, not that I can do anything about it.
  6. TheTerminator

TheTerminator New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you think about it. All cell phone plans in Canada are ridiculous. We are getting bent over and f**** in the a**.
  7. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Agreed.

I spoke with a fido representative about 'cancelling the data plan' after the first month, they said we'll have to wait at least 6 months in order to cancel a data plan AND pay a hefty $200 extra. What the hell?
  8. Andrew2

Andrew2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yea see thats bull. All North American cell plans are terrible. Canada is worse than the US as well who still suck. Mind you as I said I pay under $20. All I want is that on an iPhone. But I am unable to do so.

9. pogoyoyo

pogoyoyo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I would wait until september when Telus and Bell go GSM, meaning unlocked iphones will work with telus and bell aswell, which means bell will break rogers' monopoly in the canadian GSM network, which equals cheaper plans to get ppl to convert... and eventually rogers will lower its prices aswell, though, i doubt it.
    BTW: bell has unlimited data plans for dirt cheap ^^
  10. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I don't really like bell or telus though. I like my fido sim card, i've been loyal for almost over 5 years, and i still get little to no benefits (when wanting to purchase a new iPhone 3gs)

I've been wanting to get one this whole summer, but after finding out that data plan was MANDATORY in order to get the iPhone, I cried.