Charging the battery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MaxTO, Oct 1, 2007.

1. MaxTO

MaxTO New Member

Is there a proper way to charge your ipot ? Do you need to drain the battery before charging ? Is there a standard length of time it needs to charge ? Does the ipot battery like trickel time ?
  2. Mint-Berry Crunch

Mint-Berry Crunch Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    plud it into your computer or an apple wall charger
  3. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

iPod Touch uses a Lithium ion battery, so basically that means that each time you plug it in to the wall (aka charging the battery), it'll loose/shorten the max battery life little by little.

However, it won't be a factor to most because still the battery life would average about 4 to 8 years for most people (although it varies on the battery type, device, etc). If you plan on not rebuying a MP3 player down about 3-6 years down then only charge the battery when it's very low or totally depleted

FYI: You can also just replace the batteries once it's dead, but the service usually isn't that cheap (probably looking at minimal 50 dollars)
  4. Frost71

Frost71 New Member

I must disagree. I went to Wikipedia and it said that Lithium ion batteries do not suffer a "memory effect". That means that you can charge the battery whether it's 90% depleted or only 20% depleted with no effect on battery life span. Sorry if that's not what you meant djricekcn.
  5. TheAntiw00t

TheAntiw00t New Member

I agree. Lithium ion cells don't suffer from that type of downfall. Only NiCad and NiMH's do.
  6. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

yea it shouldnt matter when you charge it.

According to apple, the battery life is 400 charging cycles. One charging cycle is empty to full, so if you charge from 60%, you would charge 40% of the battery, thus only using 40% of one charging cycle.

And with these batteries, it shouldnt make any differences
  7. joshq00

joshq00 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    does the ipod need to be on or in sleep mode to be charging? seems as when i plug it in to my computer, computer only seems to detect it if i turn it on?
  8. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

My bad =-/
    well either way, it still goes by charges for battery lifespan so best not to charge it until it's near dead
  9. joshq00

joshq00 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    again, lithium ion doesn't matter if you wait until its dead or not
  10. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

i wonder why Apple didnt put a GOOD Li-Poly battery in the iPoT instead? they last for many more cycles and have higer capacity per mass rating.

maybe the next one will have that.

I can confirm that Li-On batteries have no negative affects from being charged at any perticular remaining capacity. only Ni-Cd batteries had that memory effect and Ni-Mh didnt have it either.