Charging Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by toehead, Dec 30, 2007.

1. toehead

toehead New Member

I have a griffin Ipod charger for my touch. It works very well usually.

I do notice that if I plug the ipod in when it warns of 20 percent life left, and continue to heavily use wifi and video, it will eventually die, even when it is plugged in.

If I leave it, it will charge normally.

Is this simply because the charger cannot keep up with the demands of wifi?
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Possibly. What is the amperage (mA) rating on the wall plug?
  3. toehead

toehead New Member

500 Milli amps.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

That should be plenty then. I don't know what the Touch's draw is under heavy load, but I really don't think it's that high, so I can't see why the charge should drop while it's plugged in. Have you tried plugging it into a USB 2.0 port with the standard cable?
  5. toehead

toehead New Member

No I havnt.

I ran system profiler and the USB draw is also listed at 500 mA.

I searched google and found several others with the same issue with third party chargers.

Mine is a powerblock that has a standard USB plug on one side, which I use with my docking cable.

I suppose the next step is to see if I can keep the device powered off of a USB port on the computer.

This issue only occurs when I run the touch down to 20 percent of battery power. (Which I like to do anyway to completely cycle the battery )
  6. toehead

toehead New Member

New update:

If I plug it into the wall adapter the battery icon shows a plug. It only shows the "lightning bolt" when it's plugged into a computer.

Edit-

Nevermind. Jumped the gun. After 30 seconds on the computer it displayed the "charged" icon.
  7. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

USB 2.0 supplies 500mA, but that's not necessarily what's being drawn. IIRC the Touch draws about 360mA when charging so there shouldn't be any problems using it while it is charging. It won't charge as fast, but it shouldn't lose charge. I'd have to guess that the third party charger you're using isn't supplying sufficient current.

Incidentally, the battery is LIon. While it's useful to completely cycle the battery one or two times to properly calibrate the charge meter, it isn't necessarily to continually do this. LIon batteries are actually happiest when kept charged, so it's a good idea to keep it plugged in when you aren't using it.
  8. toehead

toehead New Member

I've been using the ipod heavily with the charger. It will work mostly, but I have to keep an eye on it. Sometimes it will stop charging randomly and I have to unplug ang replug it to get it to charge again.

This problem does not exist with USB power. Weird!