Charging/Possible Hardware Problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Perception, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Perception

Perception New Member

When I plug my sync cable into my Touch, it does not connect. However, if I push up and hold on the connector part, it will connect as long as I apply pressure to it, but once I let go, it disconnects. It is not the sync cable either because my iTrip cable has the same issue.

What can I do to fix this?

Help is appreciated and my aim is P3RC3PTION is someone will contact me for help.

Thanks!
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Sounds like a janky dock connector on your iPod, I'm afraid. There's only one possible fix, and it may not solve the problem, but it's worth a shot.

Take a Q-Tip. Take one end and partly pull out some of the cotton -- don't detach it, just pull it out so that you can kind of extend it and flatten it out. Now, lightly dip the extended tip in a little bit of isopropyl alcohol. You don't want it so soaked that it drips, so if necessary, rub it on a bit of paper towel to get rid of excess moisture. Now, take that bit, flatten it out, and work it into the dock connector around the top edge (the edge facing the screen) by rubbing it back and forth until as much of the alcohol-soaked cotton as possible has made its way in. Now work it back and forth for a bit, rubbing all across the contacts, then remove and allow to dry for about 30 seconds. (Isopropyl alcohol dries very quickly.) Now try and reconnect it and see if it works.

If it does, great. If it doesn't, there may be some cracked solder joints inside the unit that only make contact (and therefore complete the circuit) when pressure is applied. Unless you know how to open your iPoT and resolder very tiny joints, then I'm afraid you're looking at an exchange for a new unit, which will require either making an appointment with a mac genius at your nearest Apple Store or, if you don't have one, calling Apple Care to book an RMA.
  3. Perception

Perception New Member

Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem. I guess I will be taking a visit to the Apple store.